Keep your one-sided Anti-American forum...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There is no place here for that kind of ignorance and arrogance here. Jersey Marine is now banned from the forum - not something I do lightly. This ban was not put in place because of his views, but for the aggressive and rude way he behaved on the forum. I have said before and I will say again - personal attacks are not tolerated here.

For what it's worth, I actually love the USA :)

To everyone else - thank you so much for the kind words about this forum :) We have such a friendly, warm-hearted bunch of people here, it's such a lovely place to come and chat.

Despite everything that has happened I wouldn't want to ban divisive topics - the large majority of people here have the sense and decency to participate in a friendly way.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The guy down the road from me had one of his hives swarm today .I heard them all come over my house and they just kept going .It was amazing to see ,but bad for him and could be bad for the bees with the chilly nights we are supposed to get this week .
That is one of our fears, it has been hot sticky weather, when it should be cool, cooler nights. We are feeding them a lot to get them ready for winter since we have to leave soon. It is such a fine balance between too much ..........then they think they need room and they swarm and will die........and not enough............then they starve over winter................and just right. Usually we spend the month of October slowing feeding them, we just don't have that time this year. We head west really soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I enjoy discussing topics with people that have a different point of view. I always learn something.
I certainly hope though, that if I get bull headed about something, someone calls me out on it.

I visited a gun forum back when the Sandy Hook massacre happened and some posters had good comments, others had one point that they felt was important and they could only repeat themselves over and over again. It boils down to having an open mind and listening to other people. Some people have open minds while others have closed minds. It doesn't matter if it's about ponds or politics or something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here Becky , I pulled away from him because of his views and ruled myself totally out of confronting him .
However at the same time I was polite and helpful with him on fish issues in which he was quite open and friendly towards us and everyone else.
You'll find the same in any country the UK the whole of Europe Russia and many more countries all seem ultra patriotic which quite frankly I think will worry us all whatever country and nation we belong too.
It promotes instability. promotes hatered and I simply cannot understand them even as a former military man who is paid to defend
As to our American cousins I have met many in my travels both in the US and abroad all have been friendly and open Some folks even inviting us into their homes either to stay a short while with them or to break food with us, I even had an American girlfriend at one time.
I'm acctually am proud that my adopted city had a hand in the making of America, and their defence of the UK Europe in both World wars saving us from the Nazis, you'll even find thanksgiving is being practised by more and more in Plymouth.
You did the right thing Becky.

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are all human and we all have flaws and cracks ,I just go with the flow and try not to stir the pot as my momma said .Addy I know the guy down from me classifies his honey as different kinds and he has cut back on the hives that I can see from the road but he could have moved them farther back on his property .He has 40+ acres .He says it is clover honey and makes me wonder how he knows it is just clover .Honey bees do wonder to get nectar :)I know color of honey does say something about what it is .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just for the record, there's one Canadian here who has nothing against Americans. At least not until one proves him/herself to be a total idiot! If you want to discuss hunting, then go to a hunting forum. I'm sure there's some out there. Thanks, Becky. (y)
John

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just for the record, there's one Canadian here who has nothing against Americans. At least not until one proves him/herself to be a total idiot!

Agreed. There are idiots from all countries and good people from all countries. I will never judge someone based on where they were born or where they live only by who they are. Unfortunately, the person who started this thread seemed to be very unfriendly during their entire short time here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He says it is clover honey and makes me wonder how he knows it is just clover .Honey bees do wonder to get nectar :)I know color of honey does say something about what it is .
If you have acres of clover harvest when it is in full nectar flow you can call it clover honey, since it predominately clover. Early season honey tends to be lighter in color, late season darker.
If you have a acre of clover, in a good year, right sun, right rain, etc you can get 200- 500 lbs of honey from it.

Here our major flow is the black locust trees, if you had a acre of the trees you can get 800-1200 lbs of honey in the short bloom period of 10 days. Of course you would need a lot of hives to get that much. The storms need to cooperate, no storms during the 10 days of blooming, the flowers are fragile.
This year we were dry, the trees were covered with flowers for the entire 10 plus days. So i could call our honey black locust, it was mainly black locust, very light in color, very sweet, no after taste. Rare to get that good of harvest. But the bees don't only get honey from them. So I can not call mine black locust honey, but you can say predominantly black locust. We call ours wildflower honey, it is what ever they can find in our sucky for bees area.

He might have moved his hives back to protect them, people do steal them. Or some may have died off.

We are going into winter with 8 strong hives, treating for mites, feeding, wind breaks, then crossing fingers they do well. The sugar boards I made will be put on in November for extra food if they run out. Our hives are still a little light, but after 600 lbs of sugar fed to them, they are almost heavy enough to make it through winter. The last thing you want it to find a dead hive with the bees heads in the comb trying to get that last bit of honey out to not starve to death. That is your fault.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My sister gets her honey from him and she said he was selling honey when she moved down here 25+ years ago .I know he has lots of clover .I now wonder what the guy called his honey who put hives on my mom and dads farm VEGGIE HONEY :)I never thought about it back then .We had lots of strawberries ,STRAWBERRY HONEY HMMMM

Ask a Question