Koi pics

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes they have nice fish there. I also picked up a ki utsuri and a gin rin goshiki. Pics below View attachment 115272 View attachment 115274
Beautiful fish!
I am looking around for a nice (under my standards) Hi or a ki Utsuri!
I heard in a video that young Utsuri sometime lose their black, but does it come back in the same original pattern, or can the fish look totally different?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful fish!
I heard in a video that young Utsuri sometime lose their black, but does it come back in the same original pattern, or can the fish look totally different?
I believe total different it's amazing how much koi can change in a short period of time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rich8888ri ? I HATE YOU after completing the water change and feeling good about the tank you gave me the kodama bug and away I went 700 bucks latter I have three new fish. I am upgrading the collection already as most of the original fish got were low ball they were there mainly for cycling the pond. I have found some amazing fish lately. real glad I made the quarantine tank now as I catch a fish here and there I don't have to run to the koi shop to drop them off . they can hang in the quarantine tank for a while. Bad pictures but it gives an idea.
SANKEE OCHEBZA (1 of 1).JPG
I should label them as I have the receipt , small one is Ginrin showa the mostly orange is Doitsu Showwa , and the top one or one on the left that is very sharp lines and pattern is Doitsu Sank

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful fish!
The hi utsuri by far is the more stable koi of those 2 if buying them young. Meaning the sumi (black) will remain the same and even get darker. The ki utsuri was deemed the least desirable of the 3 utsuri ( shiro being the most desirable) so the breeders spent most of the time perfecting the shiro and hi utsuri. The results the ki genetics don't have the strong sumi that the others do. Often you will see ki utsuri with grey sumi that looks muddy.. If you find one with strong black it usually expensive. Regarding hi utsuri there are orange and red. The red is the more desirable and much more expensive of the 2.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Rich8888ri ? I HATE YOU after completing the water change and feeling good about the tank you gave me the kodama bug and away I went 700 bucks latter I have three new fish. I am upgrading the collection already as most of the original fish got were low ball they were there mainly for cycling the pond. I have found some amazing fish lately. real glad I made the quarantine tank now as I catch a fish here and there I don't have to run to the koi shop to drop them off . they can hang in the quarantine tank for a while. Bad pictures but it gives an idea. View attachment 115380 I should label them as I have the receipt , small one is Ginrin showa the mostly orange is Doitsu Showwa , and the top one or one on the left that is very sharp lines and pattern is Doitsu Sank

Lol im so sorry but on the positive side you got 3 beautiful fish. The dotsoi are really nice and im a sucker for gin rin showa (see my aviator for my favorite koi in my pond). Congratulations and best of luck with them! You did well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The hi utsuri by far is the more stable koi of those 2 if buying them young. Meaning the sumi (black) will remain the same and even get darker. The ki utsuri was deemed the least desirable of the 3 utsuri ( shiro being the most desirable) so the breeders spent most of the time perfecting the shiro and hi utsuri. The results the ki genetics don't have the strong sumi that the others do. Often you will see ki utsuri with grey sumi that looks muddy.. If you find one with strong black it usually expensive. Regarding hi utsuri there are orange and red. The red is the more desirable and much more expensive of the 2.
I'm not really attracted by the shiro so I'm pretty sure that one is out!
If the sumi in the hi utsuri changes patterns as the fish grows I guess it's pointless for me to pay too much attention to it, in selecting a fish...again I'm not looking for show quality, just a well balanced sumi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your new fish are really nice. Is the doitsu a Sanke?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Ask a Question