Low water shut off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Was wondering if anyone uses a low water shut off. I have only had problem that drained my pond years ago. I discovered it before it caused any problems.But I am doing an update to my plumbing and installing a larger pump and thought I would try to prevent a possible disaster before it could happen. I was wondering if there are affordable options out there and maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. Does anyone have a diy model they made. Thanks for any ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I've actually never heard of anyone using a low water shut off on a pond. How about an autofill instead? Those I've heard of!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hmmm... I've actually never heard of anyone using a low water shut off on a pond. How about an autofill instead? Those I've heard of!
I have thought about that but it would be a lot of digging. The shut off I saw just plus into the outlet the pump plugs into so there would be no digging. I would just run it in the same tube I run the wire for the pump. The one I found was rated for a smaller pump than I am upgrading to and was over a hundred bucks. If it saves my pumps and keeps my 2 lotuses from drying out I thought it would be worth it . I just wasn’t sure how reliable they are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Is it a float switch? A simple float switch would work but don’t get the 21.99 models. I found that they leak and fail. Unfortunately you don’t find out they fail until it’s an issue. The model they use on septics has the pump rated switch piggy back receptacle. Those are maybe $50? You would want the normally closed config. Switch opens when float is horizontal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is it a float switch? A simple float switch would work but don’t get the 21.99 models. I found that they leak and fail. Unfortunately you don’t find out they fail until it’s an issue. The model they use on septics has the pump rated switch piggy back receptacle. Those are maybe $50? You would want the normally closed config. Switch opens when float is horizontal.
Thanks for the input . I thought the normal floats turned the pump on when the water rises like a sump pump. But if they fail anyway it wouldn’t be much good. I check my pond everyday at least once in the morning and once at night anyway. I just thought it would be piece of mind when on vacation. But I could always ask our dog sitter to check it when they check on the dogs.

Reaction score
If you're only concerned with it while you are away you could hook and auto fill up to a garden hose and remove the hose when you're back at home.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had one in my smaller AZ pond, hubby at that time installed it. Well I got a huge shock when reaching in the water. I yanked it out, done with that sucker.

I have used auto fill, in AZ, worked pretty decent. Here I have a hose that feeds some PVC lines we predug, at the end is another small garden hose. I have a electric auto irrigation water set up. The controller is up near the house. In the spring I add around 15 minutes of water, towards mid summer I add 1/2 hour of water, takes care of the evaporation etc. And if I need more I just adjust the auto feed until it keeps the pond nice and full.

Right now losing water due to cold windy low humidity days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had one in my smaller AZ pond, hubby at that time installed it. Well I got a huge shock when reaching in the water. I yanked it out, done with that sucker.

I have used auto fill, in AZ, worked pretty decent. Here I have a hose that feeds some PVC lines we predug, at the end is another small garden hose. I have a electric auto irrigation water set up. The controller is up near the house. In the spring I add around 15 minutes of water, towards mid summer I add 1/2 hour of water, takes care of the evaporation etc. And if I need more I just adjust the auto feed until it keeps the pond nice and full.

Right now losing water due to cold windy low humidity days.
I would love to install a auto fill but it would require digging an 80 foot trench 15 of which would be going under a patio. I think the suggestion of using a garden hose to set up a auto fill do vacation might be the right way to go

Ask a Question