Maximum Head question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
if i am running inline, does the head start from the pump or the bottom of the intake inlet going from the pump down into the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
but if submerged it will reduce pressure if u drop it down , as u bring it near surface its pressure will increase , can b due to water pressure or increased distance between pump and outlet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
on a, i am curious physics note, would there be any detectable difference between output
at 10 ft of head straight up and 10 ft of head over 50 feet of distance for instance?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
!0 feet of head "straight up" and 10 feet of head due to friction loss= 10 feet of head.
Not sure exactly what your question is? It is the total amount of head that determines loss of flow rate no matter how that total head is derived.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
!0 feet of head "straight up" and 10 feet of head due to friction loss= 10 feet of head.
Not sure exactly what your question is? It is the total amount of head that determines loss of flow rate no matter how that total head is derived.

i was thinking that it may be easier to roll something up a hill 10 feet than it is to pick it straight up 10 feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i was thinking that it may be easier to roll something up a hill 10 feet than it is to pick it straight up 10 feet.
well what is ur need ? if u keep it horizontal gradual slope then the distance will increase that will lower pressure as friction in pipe and atmospheric pressure applies at every added inch of pipe

if u do vertical just near the outlet .... its better to do straight up at 1st then lower it to distance as once its up 11ft then the gravity will take water to distance of 10ft , but if u make it gradual the distance will lower pressure before reaching height already , its based on waterlevel and gravity .

but if u have need for higher waterfall then u can add aerator with the pump that helps as the air will mix with water and reduce the weight increases buoyancy which lifts it up thers a specific technique to build that system

beside that , external pumps are better for higher lift , they have oneway valve to lock the pressure , some submersible do have it but very few

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i'm just trying to pump water from the pond up a hill to the upper pool of the waterway.
it's about 70 feet away from a corner of the pond. there's about 10 feet of head
my pump burned out last night after a power failure and trying to detrmine a replacement pump.
i bought the Pondmaster HY Drive 3200 GPH today. i'm using it inline. i'm not looking for a strong flow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Last edited:

Ask a Question