Maybe it's just me but these two look guilty of something...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
20240411_134936.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had a huge toad in my pond once. I was loved it until I found out they eat baby fish. Mine are Koi, not happy about that news, lol. Every winter, it would hide away and return in the Spring. It disappears suddenly and never came back.
I wouldn't want to have expensive koi eaten either. I have a hunch that frogs may have eaten some of my goldfish, but not many. Plus the frogs here have to watch their own backs as I have a resident pair of owls that like to hunt in the pond too :cool:

Attachments

• P1140354.JPG
    P1140354.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't want to have expensive koi eaten either. I have a hunch that frogs may have eaten some of my goldfish, but not many. Plus the frogs here have to watch their own backs as I have a resident pair of owls that like to hunt in the pond too :cool:
HAHA I love owls, another one of my favorite animals! Koi are very expensive, but since I had over 100 at the time and many since the Koi were breading, I didn't mind as much if the toad ate some of the little ones, the bigger fish were too big to be eaten, although I witness the same toad eat a bird once! Did you know that toads are birds?! I did not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with you entirely about the sound. Yours looks like a lovely, large pond with a lot of goldfishes and a monstrous lily!
HAHA I love owls, another one of my favorite animals! Koi are very expensive, but since I had over 100 at the time and many since the Koi were breading, I didn't mind as much if the toad ate some of the little ones, the bigger fish were too big to be eaten, although I witness the same toad eat a bird once! Did you know that toads are birds?! I did not.
I have heard of frogs eating birds but have never seen it. Not worried about them eating an owl though :)

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Barred owls are so cool to watch feed! I used to have one that hung around my archery stand that I used to watch catch and eat crawfish. Surprised the heck out of me the first time I witnessed it. We have both barred and great horned owls patrolling our neighborhood, I hope that aids in keeping pond predators away.
I had a huge toad in my pond once. I was loved it until I found out they eat baby fish. Mine are Koi, not happy about that news, lol. Every winter, it would hide away and return in the Spring. It disappears suddenly and never came back.View attachment 162705
This pic is so awesome! Makes me anxious for my pair of bronze/green frogs to come back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Being as GHO's are the arch nemesis of Barred owls, I bet you don't see too many. That must have been something watching them eat crawfish :)

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Being as GHO's are the arch nemesis of Barred owls, I bet you don't see too many. That must have been something watching them eat crawfish :)
The GHO’s are a lot fewer and further between. The one I saw in in the neighborhood had dropped on a grey squirrel while I was at a stop sign one evening. It very much was, barred’s are by far our most common owl that I see.

Ask a Question