My first pond questions...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for a little advice as a first time small ponder I wondered if I could draw on some communal wisdom. I have a very small garden that I’m trying to maximise the use of, I have built a few veg patches down the side of my house (sunlight exposure is enhanced with some hydroponic Mylar, hopefully my sudden purchases have not set off drug alarms!). There was a decent gap between the 2 veg patches that was a perfect size for a small above ground preformed pond. I bought one of these as the dimensions fit the gap perfectly:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bermuda-Cove-Formed-Pond-Liner/dp/B003SDCVJO

It’s not huge, but at 840mm length x 640mm width x 300mm depth I think it’s a perfect little educational pond for my 3 year old. When I received it I turned it upside down, built a wooden box around it and filled the gap with concrete so it’s fully secure and supported. Then I turned the now very heavy box over and set it in place. I built a ramp out of stones and wood so the pond is accessible by small wildlife. I also added a solar powered air pump so it will push air through a small porous stone at the bottom of the tank during the day to keep the water oxygenated.

So far I have filled it with tap water, which I then left to de-chlorinate for a few days. After which I slowly added daphnia and some food for them (various particulate ground foods I found recommended on line as I develop some green water outside of the tank) 2 types of pond weed (hornwort and elodea crispa) and a small amount of ramshorn and ‘ordinary’ pond snails with some vegetation at the bottom for them to feed on.

Both the daphnia and the snails appear to be happily going strong, so this is where I am at the moment and I’m assuming the pond is currently on the way to reaching some sort of equilibrium with environmental bacteria and creatures already introduced.

I’ve been trying to gather and put together information online about keeping a pond of this size but I’ve seen a lot of conflicting info. Once this is established the next plan is to add a small amount of fresh water sticklebacks which hopefully the daphnia culture that exists will feed them. Before I add the sticklebacks I will take some daphnia out and breed them separately for a constant supply. I guess when it comes to a pond there’s no single way or approaching things, but I’m left with a few questions:

- Does anything I’ve done so far scream out as a bad thing to do?

- Is it possible that, as long as I add green water a couple of times a week, daphnia will breed alongside the sticklebacks in the same pond without fully depleting allowing them to coexist and constantly feed the sticklebacks?

- Life I’ve added myself once the sticklebacks are in will be; Daphnia, 2 pond weeds, snails and sticklebacks. Is there anything else recommended for me to add or will life now ‘find a way’

- I have a water testing kit that gives a whole range of water values (pH, Nitrate, nitrite, calcium, ammonia, etc) so I can keep an eye on the water quality (I can see there’s a daily cycle so I’d need to test throughout the day). Do you think I can expect bacterial cultures to develop that will control ammonia values, etc or will this need management?

- Would any level of filtration be a good idea? (There's no available mains power though)

Sorry for the life story and all the questions, hopefully this makes sense,

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome!

Your little pond sounds lovely :)

This is my opinion only (and i'm also new to pond (last year) -

- Does anything I’ve done so far scream out as a bad thing to do?
-----Nope - nothing sounds bad.

- Is it possible that, as long as I add green water a couple of times a week, daphnia will breed alongside the sticklebacks in the same pond without fully depleting allowing them to coexist and constantly feed the sticklebacks?
----I think once your pond has a little algae on the side, the fish will be able to find food for their own. I have a small nature pond with lots of water plants and rocks and I have about 4 guppies and 1 betta in there and I 've never feed them and they are so big and fat (the betta).

- Life I’ve added myself once the sticklebacks are in will be; Daphnia, 2 pond weeds, snails and sticklebacks. Is there anything else recommended for me to add or will life now ‘find a way’
------ life would find a way. But you could help, may be one or two tadpoles :)

- I have a water testing kit that gives a whole range of water values (pH, Nitrate, nitrite, calcium, ammonia, etc) so I can keep an eye on the water quality (I can see there’s a daily cycle so I’d need to test throughout the day). Do you think I can expect bacterial cultures to develop that will control ammonia values, etc or will this need management?
------ The bacteria (I dont know the name) will develop on its own. It'll take about 4-7 weeks to develop.

- Would any level of filtration be a good idea? (There's no available mains power though)
------ Filtration is always a good idea. But my little nature pond dont have the filtration. All it had was 4 weeks during it first month of pond life, a small pump to move water. Then after I stopped the pump, this is a 2nd year now, the water's still clear and the fish living. This pond has no other filtration other than plants... it's about 10 gallon, about the same size as yours. My plants now take over the pond and I had to take some out once in a while so the new one can grow.

Reaction score
Thank you for the input Nepen :)

It's good to know I've not made any huge mistakes. I'll see if I can take some nice pics tonight and put it up on here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not a problem. please do post pics :) I love seeing other people's pond so I can steal their ideas hahaha, jk ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Do you have any pictures yet?

The only thing I see is the solar powered air pump -- and this may not be something you can control since there's not a power source. During the day, plants make oxygen, but at night they USE oxygen which means that at night is when you'd actually need the air more so than during the day.

Also, I don't know anything about sticklebacks, but I know that if I put my goldfish in a pond filled with yummy, live food, they would continue to eat until there was nothing left. I don't even know if having a separate culture of daphnia would be enough to keep up. I tried growing "scuds" as a treat food, but the the fish ate them too fast.....

But all you can do is try -- that's how we learn things (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
TM, I have a betta and 4 guppies in my nature pond filled with plants and they've been living happily for the past 4? months. Somehow I think that the water will have enough oxygen for a few sticklebacks during the night time, as did my guppies. My fish are also only rely on the food in the pond and they are living good life there (they are bigger than the ones in the big pond!). Just a thought - and each pond is different, just saying that it could work :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
TM, I have a betta and 4 guppies in my nature pond filled with plants and they've been living happily for the past 4? months. Somehow I think that the water will have enough oxygen for a few sticklebacks during the night time, as did my guppies. My fish are also only rely on the food in the pond and they are living good life there (they are bigger than the ones in the big pond!). Just a thought - and each pond is different, just saying that it could work :)
Nepen you may well have a betta and four guppies in your pond but I think Danno is from our side of the globe especially as she mentions sticklebacks which I remember fishing for and keeping when I was a boy.:happy:
Danno a number of small issues with your pond your going to need a small filter on the pond but I'm unsure if they make them for such small ponds, apart from sponge filters which can be run by air :happy:
Secondly what are you going to do in over wintering your boys sticklebacks as one bad freeze dependant of your locatopn in the UK abd the whole of the pond will freeze solid .:(
As for the solar powered airpump TM is right your going to need a dedicated airpump.with a multi gang airpipe connecter

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nepen you may well have a betta and four guppies in your pond but I think Danno is from our side of the globe especially as she mentions sticklebacks which I remember fishing for and keeping when I was a boy.:happy:
Danno a number of small issues with your pond your going to need a small filter on the pond but I'm unsure if they make them for such small ponds, apart from sponge filters which can be run by air :happy:
Secondly what are you going to do in over wintering your boys sticklebacks as one bad freeze dependant of your locatopn in the UK abd the whole of the pond will freeze solid .:(
As for the solar powered airpump TM is right your going to need a dedicated airpump.with a multi gang airpipe connecter

Dave
Thanks Dave.
I Googled the sticklebacks and it looks like a very small fish so I thought it would be, at least, similar in the requirement to the guppy. But I'm probably wrong :)

PS. I took my guppies and betta out from the nature pond during winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Don't know how cold it gets during the winter where you are but your betta isn't going to be able to take water temperatures below 68 degrees (at least not for very long)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Dave.
I Googled the sticklebacks and it looks like a very small fish so I thought it would be, at least, similar in the requirement to the guppy. But I'm probably wrong :)

PS. I took my guppies and betta out from the nature pond during winter.

Opps! Nevermind me, I didn't see this post until after I posted :oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don't know how cold it gets during the winter where you are but your betta isn't going to be able to take water temperatures below 68 degrees (at least not for very long)
Dont worry :) I'm taking them out in early fall.. last year was around the end of September.

Ask a Question