My mini-pond pics and stories

Reaction score
Nova said:
That looks really cool. I see you have ferns, can they grow in the water or do they need soil? I have a small fern that has been growing in my front garden since we lived here and I would like to have it under my waterfall, it could stay mostly shaded there.

The ferns are in soil actually. I don't think they would grow actually *in* the water, though they might under a waterfall if rooted in soil.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I have a couple of ferns growing in a shallow section of my pond that are not rooted in soil but I don't know that all types of ferns would grow that way. I also have a couple of plants rooted in clay kitty litter as suggested in another thread and that seems to have worked well.

Reaction score
After a spring haitus (way busy), I'm back on it some now. Unfortunately it's going to be super-hot this weekend.

Here's the "other side", that I'm working on now - going to build it up to the top level of the waterfall. Did some last weekend (after this shot), and will do more this weekend.

Right now the water wheel is out of commission - it kept getting stuck; the wood axle just wasn't slick enough to allow it to turn consistently, even when I greased it really good with vaseline. So I'm going to transition to a metal axle.

Wow this forum's gotten busy, I see. Nice to see!

Attachments

• 2011-07-16_15-38-25_994.jpg
    2011-07-16_15-38-25_994.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 241

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
glad to see your back and yes it is really hot and you have to be carefull working out side .The heat and humidity really sneek up on you fast when your doing anything out side

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All that beautiful work you did making that wheel I sure hope the metal axle does the trick for ya :lol:
Heat, what heat I say again :lol:
Oh my bad, it's almost 70F here, guess it is getting pretty hot here
giggle.gif
mozill21.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
teasing us with your cool weather I will go out and get one of the dead frogs aggie killed and throw it at you LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd much rather have a live one thrown my way...............I've got the perfect place for them to be w/ their own little spot
frogparking.jpg

Reaction score
Some work from this past weekend.

My little guy really enjoys watering stuff. Still quite the water hound. I have to get on him to not empty out the thing in fact.

Think I'm going to plant a Japanese maple this fall in the area behind the water wheel. The wheel will probably go back in after I finish rocking in the upper waterfall areas.

Attachments

• 2011-07-24_18-34-04_440.jpg
    2011-07-24_18-34-04_440.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 2011-07-24_17-43-06_132.jpg
    2011-07-24_17-43-06_132.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 291

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He's sweet and you are training him well to be a future gardener/ponder.........before long he will be posting away on this forum too.
I think the maple will really add some nice color to that area near your wheel. I love those trees and there are so many different kinds now.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Nice looking project you have there! I hope the wheel works out for you, my grandfather had built a big sturdy 3 foot diamter one for his pond, and was only able to use it for about 2 years. He kept having issues with it, and finally decided it looked just fine sitting in the garden not running.

Reaction score
Nice looking project you have there! I hope the wheel works out for you, my grandfather had built a big sturdy 3 foot diamter one for his pond, and was only able to use it for about 2 years. He kept having issues with it, and finally decided it looked just fine sitting in the garden not running.

Yeah I can relate to the "kept having issues with it" thing. I'm a persistent bugger though....

Ask a Question