My new pond (Help and advice appreciated)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Its taking shape

mJjvra7l.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What are the rocks for?

The beach area will be for Hedgehogs etc...to get easy access.

Rocks for wildlife, Dragon flies, nooks and crannies for creatures etc...

Its a natural pond with a waterfall so call it a hybrid.

The deep area will be left rock free.

I have some big rocks arriving monday that I will use to hide he liner on the far left. Behind these rocks will be pockets of aquatic soil for marginal plants in small baskets buried.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That makes sense! The photo just looks like maybe one wheelbarrow full of rocks in various sizes underwater in the middle of an otherwise rock-free area--but everything you listed sounds good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That makes sense! The photo just looks like maybe one wheelbarrow full of rocks in various sizes underwater in the middle of an otherwise rock-free area--but everything you listed sounds good.

yeah, It was the start of my beach!

Still got a way to go to create a nice habitat for wildlife....But I work full time and now with the nights becoming darker I have only a few hours after work and weekends to complete my ECO SYSTEM! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I found the managers email from my local Garden Centre.

Went today and picked loads of plants at 50p :)

jXEbopEl.jpg

fAmiCAOl.jpg

YHAWcKsl.jpg

W3L4J3Bl.jpg

zphMXAWl.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wonderful, looks like things will be popping up in your pond soon. Oh what plants do for a pond is such a marvel :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I might note; you have the liner exposed and in time, the sun will degrade that portion. Best if you can 'hide' it somehow, maybe with more plants or there's a product called rock-on-a-roll, though it won't fit your current 'edge' design. You might also do as I had to; take some coconut coir and let it hang down into the water. In time, it will degrade and look natural. I have a rock edge so I just tucked it beneath them.

Just an idea. I like the look, either way.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If I might note; you have the liner exposed and in time, the sun will degrade that portion. Best if you can 'hide' it somehow, maybe with more plants or there's a product called rock-on-a-roll, though it won't fit your current 'edge' design. You might also do as I had to; take some coconut coir and let it hang down into the water. In time, it will degrade and look natural. I have a rock edge so I just tucked it beneath them.

Just an idea. I like the look, either way.

Michael

I'm getting more plants tomorrow. And some big rocks for the left side...Hopefully with planting the water level with rise and "tip" the grass :)

Plus the grass should grow over the banks in time....:)

My goal is no visible liner... Rock pockets with plants behind in aquatic compost etc...

If i see liner when established ,ill be dissapointed

I live in the UK BTW :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Plants are a good thing!

Hopefully sooner than later!

Well, it might take longer for degradation, but the sun has to shine SOMETIME across the pond, doesn't it??? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Plants are a good thing!

Hopefully sooner than later!

Well, it might take longer for degradation, but the sun has to shine SOMETIME across the pond, doesn't it??? :rolleyes:

Yeah

As said if I see liner around the edge I'll be dissapointed once finished...Once big rocks are at zone 0 and zone one with planting...I'm pretty sure it will look "au naturel" :)

Few days at most...Tomorrow I'm completing the falls :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny, some call it Creeping Charlie is a good plant that will hang down and cover your liner in Summer and actually grow in to the water some. Has pretty little yellow flowers too. Ground spreading Sedums do well also. Those are the ones behind the fake frog.

IMG_4043.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Creeping Jenny, some call it Creeping Charlie is a good plant that will hang down and cover your liner in Summer and actually grow in to the water some. Has pretty little yellow flowers too. Ground spreading Sedums do well also. Those are the ones behind the fake frog.

View attachment 104841

Looks great :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Pump and controller installed today

Some initial testing making sure it all works.

WWF9pJil.jpg

6vS0F02l.jpg

Ask a Question