My new pond (Help and advice appreciated)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pump and controller installed today

Some initial testing making sure it all works.

WWF9pJil.jpg

6vS0F02l.jpg
I always worried about 'what if the hose/connection begins leaking? If your system ever has this problem, will the water leak to the pond or out of it? On my system (submersible), I installed a pump float switch which I can adjust to whatever water height I want. That is, when the water sinks below a certain point, the float switch triggers and turns off the pump. I figure it's my final failsafe.

Just a thought.

Then again, maybe your pump is also a submersible but you had it out of water for testing purposes???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I always worried about 'what if the hose/connection begins leaking? If your system ever has this problem, will the water leak to the pond or out of it? On my system (submersible), I installed a pump float switch which I can adjust to whatever water height I want. That is, when the water sinks below a certain point, the float switch triggers and turns off the pump. I figure it's my final failsafe.

Just a thought.

Then again, maybe your pump is also a submersible but you had it out of water for testing purposes???

yeah the pump is submersible.

It will tun off if its dry

:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, if you're going to have the pump at the deep end but lifted above the bottom (the suggested depth/height/placement), then by the time your pump goes 'dry' and turns off, you'll have precious little left of your pond water. Hence the float switch which will always keep the majority of the pond water in the pond as well as protect your pump from burning out when it goes dry (provided it doesn't already have a kill switch for that purpose).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, if you're going to have the pump at the deep end but lifted above the bottom (the suggested depth/height/placement), then by the time your pump goes 'dry' and turns off, you'll have precious little left of your pond water. Hence the float switch which will always keep the majority of the pond water in the pond as well as protect your pump from burning out when it goes dry (provided it doesn't already have a kill switch for that purpose).

I don't know how it could run dry though

The pump , pumps the water out of the pond to the falls, the water from the falls goes back to the pond.

So ether the pump could fail meaning the waterfall would stop or nothing much else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't know how it could run dry though

The pump , pumps the water out of the pond to the falls, the water from the falls goes back to the pond.

So ether the pump could fail meaning the waterfall would stop or nothing much else.

pipe breaks pumps water out of pond.. pond empty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
or the liner develops a leak, or plants wick water out, or your waterfall starts diverting water elsewhere, or (if you're Mitch) a moose comes and takes a drink...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
or the liner develops a leak, or plants wick water out, or your waterfall starts diverting water elsewhere, or (if you're Mitch) a moose comes and takes a drink...

If the liner develops a leak what's that got to do with the pump ?

Why would my waterfall start diverting water elsewhere ?

I live in the U.K. So no moose !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
it can happen frost causing the ground to shift. power outage and water in pipe freezes from not moving.

Then I would check levels regularly
Plus if the pipe froze the falls would stop alerting me to a problem

The pipe is surrounded by sand and before I bury it totally will be wrapped in insulation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If the liner develops a leak what's that got to do with the pump ?

Why would my waterfall start diverting water elsewhere ?

I live in the U.K. So no moose !
You're right re the liner; it'll leak until it reaches that point. But a waterfall can and will divert water if it shifts or if the liner beneath your waterfall develops a leak somewhere. Read the many threads re water leak and note how many are caused by the waterfall.

No moose? (it was a j/k, btw!) Well then, it'll prevent that next herd of European hedgehogs from draining your pond dry the next time they pass through your area...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm sorry but this advice to not pump water from the bottom of the pond for fear of emptying the pond is like telling people not to wear a seat belt because they might get trapped in a burning car.

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Just a couple of suggestions. Put some hardy plants like iris's in the pond to help with the water chemistry and give the fish a place to hid or spawn. Consider netting the pond to protect from birds of prey, especially Herons. You may want to consider building a bog to filter the pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple of suggestions. Put some hardy plants like iris's in the pond to help with the water chemistry and give the fish a place to hid or spawn. Consider netting the pond to protect from birds of prey, especially Herons. You may want to consider building a bog to filter the pond water.

Where would the bog go ? Cheers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry but this advice to not pump water from the bottom of the pond for fear of emptying the pond is like telling people not to wear a seat belt because they might get trapped in a burning car.
I NEVER said to not pump the water from the bottom, as a matter of fact, I said the opposite. Re-read what I posted. I said IF you do, put some safeguard on the water level re the float switch.

Ask a Question