MYSTERIOUS "LUMP" ON GOLDFISH

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As for my box turtle population, the "yellow grub" can infect fish-eating reptiles in the same way it does birds. When the reptile eats an infected fish, the "grub" (after it does some other form of transformation) will take up residence in its esophagus (the tube that food goes down) and will then shed the eggs like with birds. So, guessing that the "grub" form isn't likely in turtles......? But if they ate an infected fish, and had these (whatever stage it's called) parasites living in their esophagus, I could see where the turtle could suffer from nutritional problems as a result.

It just goes to show that you need to understand the life-cycle of any parasite you want to treat [IOW, how many hosts does it have, etc.], 'cause if it is a treatable one, you have to know when & where to HIT it.

P.S. -- I think my boxies are OK. Box turtles CAN eat fish, but they're more likely to go after insects. And if anything, when I've watched turtle-fish interactions with my guys, my silly turtles are more likely to skitter away from a fish than try to eat it!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I know there are some medications that will kill snails as a side effect. One would have to experiment with doseage and or remove the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with that Howard is you are taking them out of an enviroment that your going to change, so as such hey may verywell have problems with the water, which you have altered without them being able to adapt to what ever chemical your putting in the water as such it may cause problems .
The best bet it to read up on the most effective snail killer and one that doesnt affect koi or Goldfish in any way.
There has to be a good one on the market its just a question of finding the right one.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question