Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bear spray is easily found out west but on the east coast it's not as necessary as the black bears unless cornered will run away. None the less I know a couple hikers who have run into more black bears then they like and now carry wasp spray. I would think that's as efficient get that in your eyes and it's not going to be a good day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, the rule of thumb with a Grizzly that is chasing you, is to play dead. If they start to eat you, fight back. This is in case you forgot the bear spray. Even with that, I would worry about a heart attack.
Rule of thumb..................stay away from them!

B

Burd

FCE5B367-329F-44B8-B667-91F8FA9981CF.jpeg
So I head this thud, I look out on my porch, a female Goldfinch is laying upside down on the carpet, so I put her in my parrots travel cage in a towel for about an hour. She was looking to get out of the cage then, so I went outside, she stepped up on my finger, looked at me for a minute, then flew away. They get the wind knocked out of them flying into a window. A grackle did this earlier in the summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 116125 So I head this thud, I look out on my porch, a female Goldfinch is laying upside down on the carpet, so I put her in my parrots travel cage in a towel for about an hour. She was looking to get out of the cage then, so I went outside, she stepped up on my finger, looked at me for a minute, then flew away. They get the wind knocked out of them flying into a window. A grackle did this earlier in the summer.
Never been that lucky they usually break their neck. glad you were able to lend a hand

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just came on this thread to post a couple hiking pics from our vacation in Glacier, and read the bear conversations here.... Not pleased with what I read...

No photograph, whether by a so called professional, or a hobbyist, is worth risking your life, breaking park rules and/or federal laws, or disrupting wildlife. Selfish, irresponsible....these are the people I can't stand when I visit the national parks, or any wild area.

Here's our photo of grizzlies taken the other day:

grizrd.jpg

I happened to see something crashing through the brush ahead of us so I stopped the car. Out popped a sow and her two cubs. My husband grabbed our point-n-shoot and took this photo. I did not move the car, but allowed the bears to cross, and made sure they were well off the road before I moved on our way, not stopping even for a moment. I'm pretty sure the people in the cars that eventually pulled up behind me were p*ssed off, but too bad. It wasn't about getting the shot, because honestly, myself, and the people behind me, are not going to get anything into National Geographic anytime soon! It was a thrilling sight, but what was really good about it was that this sow was moving her cubs across that area with haste. All three constantly looking in all directions, and doing what bears should be doing - avoiding people. As a responsible wildlife viewer, I did my part to make sure they could continue on their way, undisturbed by humans. By not allowing them to become habituated to people and vehicles/roadways, I'm doing my part to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. And in consideration of the people behind me, they did get to view the bears at a respectable distance as we did.

I don't care if I just ticked off anyone on this forum. My post is not open to argument by those angered by it, and I will not feed trolls. But, great wildlife shots CAN be obtained with zoom lenses and responsible actions. So it is my hope that this post will be a learning tool.

Yes, I'm passionate about wildlife, and our National Parks. I love bears. Next week I am an invited speaker to address a group of beginning backpackers about responsible wildlife viewing, proper food storage, and, you guessed it, bear safety. If it were an open event, I'd invite ya'll!

PS - I happen to own a fancy camera with several lenses and equipment, but made the responsible choice of not using it.
Soap box now pushed aside.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My husband grabbed our point-n-shoot and took this photo
you should know and pay attention the photo's chasing bears is a with a 600mm lens it can read a license plate at over a half mile away. you use you point and shoot and we will enjoy our long lens that cost over 10,000

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
5280 feet in a mile, 1/2 mile = 2,640' which is 880 yards. So crossing an icy river to get 100 or so yards closer to a grizzly bear with a $10,000 lens.... Yea....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
d5 $6000 dollars
600 mm $12,000
tripod $1,000
gets photos like this which this was taken with all the above from the road BEHIND PARK RANGER
Silver back -1.JPG

Point and shoot which you look to be about 100 yard which is closer then any photo I have posted thus far except the above

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
5280 feet in a mile, 1/2 mile = 2,640' which is 880 yards. So crossing an icy river to get 100 or so yards closer to a grizzly bear with a $10,000 lens.... Yea....
ask rob how far that phot was taken from STOP JUDGING WHAT YOU HAVE NO CLUE

not to mention I would cross a river for 100 yards climb a tree, stand on the top of my truck for the shot. to get that branch out from in front of there face..... enjoy your point and shoot

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sow was moving her cubs across that area
And just to let you know miss jump to conclusions . THE reason you saw moma bear and the cubs and not a lone bear is because it is hunting season and the males go deep into the woods. moma comes to the roads PEOPLE because she knows the males stay clear of the roads and people and she is actualy protecting her cubs by being close to us. LOOK IT UP

Ask a Question