Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MONTANA-1.JPG

B

Burd

I see the Grackles are in a huge flock now, they are getting ready to leave. I wonder were they go for the winter? Anyone out there see them show up for the winter months?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I went up to the local Wood River Wetlands this morning, kind of a final visit for a month or so anyway. Tomorrow, duck season opens and it will sound like WWIII has broken out. The first hour will be really intense, last year there were long periods with over 60 shots per minute.

Lately, I've been seeing a black-crowned night heron on every visit. Never close enough for a good photo, but at least a photo and pretty good viewing with 10X binoculars.

black crowned night heron1000251.jpg

There are lots of birds on the water, although less this year than last, so far. Maybe the low water level and drought has sent them elsewhere. Agency Lake is quite large (2x5 miles), but very shallow, mostly around 4 feet when full in the spring, with "deep" spots around 10'. Now, there are lots of mud flats and stranded water lilies.

day before duck season 1000263.jpg

All the birds are real spooky right now, no surprise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
This morning on our walk, I had quite a tussle holding my German shorthair dog (leashed, but very strong) back as a very large porcupine waddled down the road. No picture, it's a good thing I didn't have my camera as I had my hands full with the dog, who really wanted to check it out!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rescuing little frogs jumping through the lawn while I was mowing. They can move pretty fast but some were going the wrong way so I put them in a safer spot. I'm always on the lookout for them and don't mow real fast.
Would hate to run over them!

B

Burd

6EE3D4E8-915F-483F-9E92-29E7BBA19C6C.jpeg
I saw a nuthatch at a house I was working on Friday. Not the clearest pic. He’s the larger of the two variety’s. A smaller type nuthatch landed on my ladder a foot in from of me. Sat there for a few to check me out, then flew off.

Ask a Question