water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stay calm, please.

Wildlife photographers use their lens to get close up photos.
Wildlife gets more harassment from point and shoot photo takers then from those with professional equipment.

I watch those with phones, point and shoot jump out of their cars get within kicking distance to grab a photo of the horses on Assateague island, the more responsible photographers are using their lens to get the photo, staying away from the ponies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
5280 feet in a mile, 1/2 mile = 2,640' which is 880 yards. So crossing an icy river to get 100 or so yards closer to a grizzly bear with a $10,000 lens.... Yea....
there you go again putting what you want together as facts, I said the lens can read a license plate at a 1/2 mile and that the grizz was 300 yards not your impressive mathamatics at 880 yards

B

Burd

2556FFCC-2C15-474E-91BF-A6C92FA58460.jpeg
F6CDF6CB-4961-4EC7-8B87-8B42FFB7EC8D.jpeg
4F8F6A55-CD72-4E4F-AF98-A8252DF14F94.jpeg
I was making lunch the other day, I have a cherry tree out front, I think I have to take it down its looks pretty rotten, just while I was watching, 2 diff woodpeckers we’re looking into the rotten hole.
And I saw this big Kadydid out by my shed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Stay calm, please.

Wildlife photographers use their lens to get close up photos.
Wildlife gets more harassment from point and shoot photo takers then from those with professional equipment.

I watch those with phones, point and shoot jump out of their cars get within kicking distance to grab a photo of the horses on Assateague island, the more responsible photographers are using their lens to get the photo, staying away from the ponies.

Unfortunately, the cost of the camera doesn't make people any less stupid. I have seen many idiots jumping out of their cars with cell phones, point-n-shoots, as well as VERY expensive cameras to approach animals even closer because they "had" to get their shots. Just HAD to.

My point here, that has obviously been missed by someone, is that if you have a large lens, there is no need to put oneself or an animal at risk to gain another 100 yards. And that approaching an animal, especially a dangerous one, whether to point a cell phone at it, or try to pet it (and yes, I've seen that happen), is just irresponsible and unwise. No photograph is worth that. Additionally, in a National Park, "willfully" approaching an animal, or remaining near an animal that has approached you, is unlawful. The fine is in the upwards of $1,500, and depending on the offense, may increase and include jail time.

I have a lovely Nikon camera with several lenses, with no need to brag about its cost. (And I am not "clueless" as to its capabilities or how to use it.) We also have a point and shoot (with zoom, as was used in the grizzly picture - so we were a football field and a half away from the animals that ran out - unexpectedly - on the road in front of us), and this is the camera that we use while kayaking, hiking, etc. We NEVER approach animals with either camera, or a cell phone. If I miss a potentially amazing shot, SO WHAT. I have done the responsible thing to keep myself safe, and the animals wild. Period.

Loved your photos of the ponies at Assateague @addy1. We hope to get there one day. We had a campsite booked their once, but one of those crazy Atlantic storms drove us off, and we ended up taking a trip to Texas instead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My reading of the discussion is that @Somethin' Fishy just wanted to warn people of the risks of getting too close to potentially dangerous wild animals. It was not a personal attack, it was an informed opinion. Whether or not you agree with it is up to you. I'm not here to take sides or to decide who is right or wrong, I'm here to make sure everyone sticks to the rules.

Discussion is fine as long as you don't take every opposing view personally. Please read the forum etiquette (link in my signature).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Burd Last year I found a hummingbird lying under a feeder one morning. We had a sudden cold snap the night before and I suspect that the little fella was hypothermic. I basically did what you did with the goldfinch....took it inside for a while so it could warm up and recover. I offered it some room temp sugar water — since their metabolism is so high, didn’t want it to get hypoglycemic just when it needed the energy most. It took an hour or so, for it to come around, so once the outside temp warmed up, I turned it loose. I love nature!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Encounters with dangerous animals! My wife and I were the caretakers/maintainers of 7 remote cabins on 160 acres on a wild and scenic river, 10 miles from a neighbor. We took care of the cabins, grounds and 6 ponds, the largest was 13 acres and 20' deep. Each outlet was screened, the first pond was about an acre and a half, about 15' above the largest pond. I had just cleaned the screen (wouldn't do to have the trout drop into the bass pond!), when I saw something swimming across the lower pond.

Looking, I couldn't figure out what it was, not a beaver, too big for a muskrat, hmmm. Well, it disappeared into the cattails below me and came up the bank, still hidden in the brush. When it emerged, about 30 feet from me and waddled my direction, I still hadn't a clue. At about 10 to 15 feet, it stood on it's hind legs and i found myself face to face with a wolverine! It stared at me for a few seconds, then turned around and walked the other way! It definitely tested my heart. This was a neat experience (looking back) but certainly not a critter I would have approached for a picture! I do wish I'd had a camera with me though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We miss that place, so much wildlife and all those ponds. Here's a shot of the 3rd pond, about 5 acres. It had large mouth bass bluegills and pumpkin seed sunfish in it. Snorkeling in it and the large pond was especially fun when the sunfish had made their nests in 2-3 feet of water, scooping out a nest in the rock/sand bottom. Boy were they feisty! Stick a hand within 3 or 4 feet of the nest and they'd attack. I'll admit that we teased them some. I wish I could afford a pond like this!

E Cr 3rd pond looking north copy.jpg

B

Burd

A Grackle hit the glass in July, I put him in a towel in a box. It took about an hour.
I asked my avian vet, usually if they hit their head hard they need a shot of steroids so their brain doesn’t swell. I’m thinking the goldfinch hit his chest area, he threw up some food from his crop.
I tamed a squirrel at my old place, she was 13-14 years old when I didn’t see her show up anymore, I medicated her twice with antibiotics and once for mange. 2 drops on a walnut half is all it takes. Do it 3 times. (3 weeks)

Ask a Question