Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone know what type this little guy is ?
UNKNOWN (1 of 1).jpg
Some juvenal Macandras having some fun in Glacier National park
JUVINAL Macandras having a little fun (1 of 1).jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In July, I went canoeing on the Root River and took a few shots. I also went kayaking on the river later in the summer, with no camera. Rented a kayak at the nature center for a couple hours. I had never been kayaking before, so I was interested in trying it out. It was great. I'd definitely like to replace the canoe with a kayak someday.
IMG_9818 copy.jpg

IMG_9826 copy.jpg

IMG_9847 copy1.jpg

Here's a recreation path that boarders the new Foxconn land. This was right before construction got too insane to go anywhere near that area. Probably wont see this path again for a long time. Curious about how it'll look the next time I'm there. It seems there may be new ponds added as part of the construction.
IMG_9891 copy.jpg

The Pike River Pathway
IMG_1069 copy.jpg

Lake Michigan and shoreline habitat photos
IMG_2689 copy.jpg

IMG_2707 copy.jpg

IMG_2723 copy.jpg

Tipi at Hawthorn Hollow Nature Sanctuary
IMG_3332 copy.jpg

Some shots from the beach.
IMG_3976 copy.jpg

IMG_3987 copy.jpg

IMG_3994 copy.jpg

IMG_4007 copy.jpg

Heron in the Pike River.
IMG_4444 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice photo's and wondering what kind of Palm trees those are? Are they on Lake Michigan? I thought it got too cold there for those . I see our lovely Great Blue friend standing there patiently waiting for his meal.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice photo's and wondering what kind of Palm trees those are? Are they on Lake Michigan? I thought it got too cold there for those . I see our lovely Great Blue friend standing there patiently waiting for his meal.

Yes, they're at the beach on Lake Michigan. There's a company in the area that rents and sells them. They're all potted. Since the trees won't survive winter, the company also provides winter storage. They put about ten of them near a concession stand for about four months each year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah I see the pots there now buried in the ground. Thought they had some new kind of hardy palm back there. I have one called Chinese Windmill Palm and it is hardy here but we don't get as cold as back there. It did make it through a few days of -6 temps many years ago when it was very small but I covered it w/a sheet to try and protect it somewhat. I like the look of that recreational trail by the water up there. Would be nice to meander through on a bicycle if they allow them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You do put some miles on jb

Not nearly as much as I'd like to. I certainly have no excuse since I live next to a wooded park with a trail. Only been back there once since spring. They're supposed to be seeding a prairie in an old farm field about now so I'll have to get back there soon and see if they've done it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
20181112_152758.jpg
I have not seen the woods look this good in a few years. In some areas where normally you would only see a trickle of water have become small streams, and new growth is evident all over the forest floor,
20181112_153409.jpg
20181112_155033.jpg
20181112_153420.jpg
especially in areas where a lot of trees have died or come down in past storms.

Attachments

• 20181112_151619.jpg
    20181112_151619.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The first snowfall that sticks is always the best one every year, I know I want my boot prints to be first ones out on trails, it makes the hike special, as fresh snow eliminates all the evidence of other people, makes the hike seem more natural somehow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Enjoy the Winter Wonderland pictures @JBtheExplorer
Who is supposed to seed the field?

A local non-profit organization that does a lot of restoration work in the area is overseeing the project, and Tallgrass Restoration Services is doing the site prep and seeding. Site preparations were supposed to begin in late summer and seeding in fall. All money was secured and everything was ready to go. Last I heard, they were doing a pollinator survey in the field in late August. Since then, there have been no online updates. I've been hoping that once I finally hiked over there it'd be seeded and set for winter, but when I got to the field yesterday, it was the same old weedy field. Given that it's so late into fall and we've reached the snowy season, I'm not sure they can get that work done anymore this year, which will push the entire project to next autumn. I was looking forward to seeing a first-year prairie begin to grow next spring.

Another project being done in town that I've been waiting for, the completion of the Pike River Pathway, is also behind schedule due to weather. Once that's completed, I'll have a new stretch of recreational path to explore. It follows the river it's named after, and I believe they've created a few new ponds as well, to help reduce flooding. I'm looking forward to being able to check that out.

Ask a Question