Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing the beautiful winter scenery @JBtheExplorer ! It gives me something to enjoy until we can once again pull our snowshoes from the closet for Winter travels elsewhere!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The first snowfall that sticks is always the best one every year, I know I want my boot prints to be first ones out on trails, it makes the hike special, as fresh snow eliminates all the evidence of other people, makes the hike seem more natural somehow.

I know exactly what you mean @Tara !

I get the most overwhelming sense of peace out in a wintery landscape with nobody around... Well, maybe having one person along...the hubby!
GTNP.jpg Ours were the only snowshoe prints on this day in Grand Teton N.P. The off season, before Yellowstone opens for over-snow traffic, and before trail grooming begins.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love seeing pictures of Yellowstone, we hope to go there in two years but I doubt it will be in winter. @Somethin' Fishy you are spot on, it is peaceful, a perfect feel good moment.
@Tara - I hope that everything works out so that you can get to Yellowstone. It is a MUST SEE, and worth every effort in going. We've been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton four times in the past 8 years. Twice we traveled cross country and stayed in our own camper, both times in the Fall, and during the last week or so of facilities being open. We enjoy that time because there's less people. (I don't think I could stand the Summer crowds!) We did a Winter tour in Yellowstone where we stayed at Snow Lodge and Mammoth Hot Springs, and snowmobiled. It was outstanding, with the exception of an idiot snowmobile guide, but it got us hooked on Winter in the parks (and we got to see wolves!). So when we did our second Winter trip we flew into and stayed in Jackson, bringing our own gear and doing our own thing. We absolutely love it, and plan to visit in Winter again; maybe next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@JBtheExplorer I just saw your kayak vs canoe post - I'm with you on the kayak. I've done both and find kayaking to be much easier to manage - maybe it's my age, but I only wanna work so hard! I can kayak for hours without ever feeling like I'm wearing out.

Lovely photos everyone! There's so much beauty in the world, even where others may see just dead leaves or snow covered fields.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been doing a ton of exploring, but all from my own home. :)

This is a fun game. The level of detail is amazing. Hundreds of animals species, tons of plant species, and the environment is amazing! The perfect game for someone like me.

rdr.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are beautiful @JBtheExplorer ! I've never seen those!

Keep an eye out. It's common belief that European Goldfinches came from the Chicago area, likely escaped or possibly intentionally released by a breeder in the area. Now they can be found in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, from what I've heard. I've been seeing them rarely since 2009. Typically once or twice a year. It was quite a sight seeing eight of them yesterday. Only four at a time today, but they were here a few times.

I love seeing them, they're easily my favorite non-native bird, but I do worry on what impact they'll have as their population rises.

Ask a Question