Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Last month, I got to see a bird I've been hoping to see for a long time, an American Kestrel. What a fantastic bird of prey!
View attachment 117233

A couple days ago, I went to a nearby park and hiked the trails and paved pathway. We're past peak autumn color, but it still looks good.
View attachment 117234
View attachment 117235
View attachment 117236

The park has had some issues with erosion along the river. They recently got a $500,000 grant to fix some of those issues, add a small wetland restoration, and improve water quality. They also added dozens, if not hundreds of small trees earlier this year. This area is part of the work they've been doing. The boardwalk was part of a separate project that connects the park to a recreational path in the area.
View attachment 117237

We have a lot of that kind of environmental remediation going on around here.
I wish the county would learn to adapt rather than try to control mother nature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a lot of that kind of environmental remediation going on around here.
I wish the county would learn to adapt rather than try to control mother nature.
I have to agree Mitch if you look at the remediation they made the stream bed curved where it would appear pretty obvious that mother nature wanted the stream to go straight removing the bends. Looking where the bends almost change direction they stopped the rock if they get the rains i'll bet mother nature will give a few lessons again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD guess your cats know better than to mess w/Flower View attachment 117071
Be careful at night when calling "here kitty, kitty" as you may get a surprise!
Not my cats JW . that photo is from a town gazebo that happens to have at my last count was 35 cats people come to feed the cats regularly thus the skunk wild animals will always take a free hand out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We've had a "temporary bridge" in place for 4 years that gets washed out every year along with those same boulder barriers for the stream curves.
This past year the county is putting in a "super bridge" that is supposed to withstand the June floods.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We've had a "temporary bridge" in place for 4 years that gets washed out every year along with those same boulder barriers for the stream curves.
This past year the county is putting in a "super bridge" that is supposed to withstand the June floods.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Sounds like a different location might be in order.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you @Somethin' Fishy , I took my son driving all over Massachusetts this weekend, spent more time just looking and gazing at the scenery than any real hiking, it's hard not to this time of year. The weather was perfect, not too hot or cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yesterday at work I found a bird in need of a helping hand. I suspect a spinal injury. It lasted until just as I was about to make a post about it, then it died. I frequently take on injured animals to help, I’m not impressed with the local fish and game folks, they don’t call back. I’ve had to handle all kinds of birds, even Mississippi kites, that one came from my sister with a broken wing.

Attachments

• 44E1D82E-E0A0-453A-9D4A-08F36DBC95D6.jpeg
    44E1D82E-E0A0-453A-9D4A-08F36DBC95D6.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DCC01882-E237-416E-B42E-86A030BC26CD.jpeg
    DCC01882-E237-416E-B42E-86A030BC26CD.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 96

Ask a Question