Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
"Light Footed Bird Food Thief"

We feed a tremendous number of wild birds yet I was baffled after discovering we were using 8 lbs of bird food a week. That's $20 of high quality feed. Completely by chance today the mystery was solved!

Our squirrel proof bird feeder automatically closes when a creature over a certain weight gets on the perch. There are three weight settings, light, medium and heavy. I "had" the setting on medium. Never did I think a young squirrel would be light enough to "not" trigger the auto close mechanism. Boy, I was wrong! Share a laugh with me as the pictured young squirrel enjoys the bountiful feast then once discovered makes a fast get away! Oh, two last notes. Note One is that I feed squirrels cobbed corn on another feeder. Note Two is the bird feeder perch weight setting is now set on "light" weight!

You just have to love wildlife, so beautiful, fun and intelligent.

View attachment 69089 View attachment 69090 View attachment 69091 View attachment 69092 View attachment 69094 View attachment 69095 View attachment 69097

AWWWWW he is so cute!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That was fun to see. He wants it all and no wonder your food was disappearing so fast. It's prolly buried all over your yard now and you can expect sprouting seeds everywhere :D

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have the same feeder, Lou, and it's always set on the lightest setting. I watched once as a squirrel started bouncing up and down on the perch until the bar was open, and then quickly wedged one hind foot into the crack. He then proceeded to stuff himself, and toss about a pound of food on the ground for his buddies to share! He panicked when he discovered that his foot wouldn't release easily, but he simply bounced a few times, and out it came. Not only nervy, but very resourceful! :smuggrin:
John

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not much going on outside today. Too windy.
Here were some Tree Swallows sitting in trees near a pond.

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0572t.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Such clear and sharp pix of them. Love the ducks, they have such sweet faces

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I'm really hoping they don't choose to nest here though, but I can't seem to keep them away. I walked the female to the front yard earlier, then I sat down by my pond and she wandered back over, walked around me, and laid down. I keep seeing more and more poop and pea gravel and can just imagine what its going to look like if they stick around.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
10152007_10151980276261256_6662334370183055570_n.jpg

Check out this amazing photo sent to REPTILES by Angus James! He caught this jungle perch in North Queensland, Australia..."As I was pulling my lure from the fish to release back into the water I noticed two little eyes looking back at me from inside the fish's mouth. After capturing this picture, the little green tree frog leaped straight past my head onto the nearest tree. It was one of the coolest things I have seen in my life! This is one lucky frog!"

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bad photo, but my Tree Swallows have returned!
DSCN4841.jpg

A year ago, I made 7 birdhouses. I put five of them in my yard, gave one to my grandma, and installed one at my favorite nature trail. Tree Swallows were the first to show. The one I donated to the nature trail was too late in the season to get anything, but it felt great adding something to a trail I've been going to since I was about 4 years old, and I cant wait to see what moves in this year. In fact, I plan on heading out there in a couple weeks. Here are some photo's of it!

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_6213_2t.jpg

IMG_4895_2t.jpg

1465195_10152077357213689_483183348_n.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a nice thing for you to do for the birds JB and what pretty places to visit. Love the little birdie photo of its head poking out :X3:

Ask a Question