New babies

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'd be lost without the internet!

How big do they have to be before you can put them back in the pond with the other fish? When we first moved in, we had one little teeny one that was maybe 2" long. Sure looked small enough for the bigger fish to eat but they never did. He disappeared when we started having raccoon problems...poor little guy.

Reaction score
Thanks Doc, started brine shrimp last night. I have been feeding them some frozen Cyclops that I thaw out in a cup, then tranfer to the fry. The local fish store also sold me some Zooplankton that I have been using for the last 2 days.

It's like being a new dad all over again less the diapers.

Reaction score
I did not know what Methylene Blue was until after they hatched and I read about it, I'll know next time.
I did notice some fungus on some of the white eggs.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
firenfix said:
I did not know what Methylene Blue was until after they hatched and I read about it, I'll know next time.
I did notice some fungus on some of the white eggs.

You use only 1/2 the recommended dose for the eggs. Otherwise, it will do more harm than good.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JustJack said:
I'd be lost without the internet!

How big do they have to be before you can put them back in the pond with the other fish? When we first moved in, we had one little teeny one that was maybe 2" long. Sure looked small enough for the bigger fish to eat but they never did. He disappeared when we started having raccoon problems...poor little guy.

I wait until they start developing some color. Until then, they might be mistaken as food.

Hint!
Keep them where they get UV from the sun, it brings the color out a lot sooner than those kept indoors.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
full sun flourecent bulbs help for an indoor fry pond. you can get them at LOWES or HOME DEPOT, etc... in 2' and 4' lengths.... you can just decapsulate brine shrimp eggs to feed fry also. ( this is actually more nutritious than hatching them). spurilina, daphnea are also good food options..... once their 1/2" or so i feed freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worms, mine fed from my hand at 3 weeks old.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The decapsulation process requires sodium hydroxide.

Beware that sodium hydroxide will eat the flesh off your hands and anything else it comes in contact with in its pure state. You must wear protective clothing when using it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
common household bleach will decapsulate brine shrimp eggs....no problem.. checkout the second video 'decapsulating brine shrimp' in my raising fry food thread. i've done it, it works!! or here ya go.....
[ame]

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You guys are great, thanks! That's good to know about the full sun fluorescent bulbs. We have a light out in the shed anyway so I'm going to go ahead and replace it with one of those so I'll be ready. I already read posts in another thread about making your own cork mops, too.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am impressed with the fact that the bleach didn't prevent the brineshrimp eggs from being viable. If you already have 90%, I'm wondering how much more yield you do get?

I run 4 hatcheries at a time when mine spawn. This would be a lot of extra work each day.

It is good to know that the eggs do not have to be hatched though, that could eliminate the 24 to 48 hour wait.

I cycle mine 48 hours to get the highest yield possible.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i went 36 hours hatching...the whole process of decapsulting takes about 20 minutes...just do it in larger quantity....and decapsulating and not hatching them gives up to 5 times the nutritional value.... because the egg sack isnt eaten by the hatchlings. tho they will eat more.. i only hatched and or decapsuated for 2 weeks, then switched to freeze dried...both brine shrimp and bloodworms...started hand feeding. theyre more expensive but its cool to have them hand feeding that small. i fed first bites, and crushed or blenderized pellets/ flakes the whole time after 2 days

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Since I am not retired yet, I had to make it my routine every day when I got home from work. I would run 2 hatcheries for each days feeding and 4 total hence the 48 hours.

Your babies grew faster than mine. I noticed that when you posted photos this past year. That may be due to the higher nutritional value you spoke of. Something to consider...

Being on septic here, I would be concerned about that much bleach going into my system.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No more than they can eat in 5 minutes. However, you can feed them many times a day while this size. 4 is a good number.

Ask a Question