New babies

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
take a 2 litre pop bottle and cut the bottom off , or cut a bunch of holes all over it stretch a nylon or even a sock over it connect the bottles opening to the pumps inlet... the greater dipersion of suction will keep the fry from getting sucked in. just the pumps opening is too much concentration of draw!

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Koiguy, I'll try that next time. I just did a 25% water change using a transfer pump (drill operated) with some stocking over the 5/8" hose, lost a few but not too many.

When (and how) do I tranfer the fish to another tank, I am worried that the decaying plant pieces in the tub could harm the fish. If I try to filter with the fry so small, I'm sure the results will not be good. Cannot net the remaing plant pieces without getting the fry?

Reaction score
Many of my Koi fry (8 - 10 days old) are staying near the bottom or side of the tank? Just yesterday, most seemed to be constantly swimming. Any ideas? I did lower the ariation as it seemed to be over-powering the Koi before, but still plenty of bubbles.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They have been living off their egg sack. Once they start swimming, they are looking for food. I hope they are in water above 60 degrees and you are feeding them. Otherwise, they will not survive the winter.

Reaction score
They are being fed four to five times a day and have been kept in my shed or house (70 degrees). I just turned up the ariators and the fry seem to be normal again, problem is I'm not sure if "normal" might not be the air bubbles moving them around. Should they be swimming all of the time? Do they (or should they) rest occasionally on the bottom?

I don't want the ariation to be to violent, but I also want to make sure there is enough oxygen in the water.

Thanks, Mike

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Don't worry about the areation, they will find a calm place if they want it. Keep the areation against the back wall and they will be fine. This young, I would feed them 3 or more times a day but not too much each time.
Keep in mind the water quality with overfeeding.

Reaction score
I have had quite a few fry die off in the last few days? I brought them inside earlier this week due to overnight temps predicted to be in the 20's. They have been at a constant 69 degrees inside, 50% water changes every other day, many seem to be hovering at the surface or on the bottom. Some seem to be feeding, not sure what is going on?

Amonia is ALWAYS in the middle, never low end...never high end. I still have hundreds of live fry but I don't want to end up with a mass casualty.

Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
I have about 70 -100 fry left from the eggs that were hatched December 6th and 7th but they are very small still? Most are about 1/2 inch or a bit more, is this normal or are they on the small side?

Thanks, Mike

Ask a Question