I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
LOL I didn't either baeya!

Man addy that bird was waiting for you to get home? What next? Does it want to be invited in for a fish dinner w/ you and hubby? Sounds like you are safe for your trip now by the looks of it.

I do like that photo of the bird standing there looking like she's wearing a flower hat, lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a love hate relationship. Beautiful elegant bird, that wants the fish. It is welcome to all the bugs it can eat, but leave the fish alone. Now if those suckers don't stop making babies, maybe I will invite the heron for some sushi. I think all the rain we had with the nice water change fired them up again.

Yeah jw it was waiting on the driveway for me to come home, blends right in with the driveway.......

utoh.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's one weird bird! Can't imagine what he was doing up on your driveway? Maybe next time you'll find him inside your house raiding the fridge, lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think it was going to knock on the door and ask where the sushi is..........time for a snack besides crickets.

I have noticed the fish, go deep when I show up on the bank now, then they wait a while before they come up for the food. Right now they are all deep, I cleaned the camera lens, and they scattered down. They have gotten predator trained.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, that was funny, I don't think any of us saw that one coming! LOL
Addy, looks like your at least keeping them both away from the fish, GOOD JOB! That's one lucky bird, I hate to say it but I wouldn't be quite as nice to that bird as you have been. They are cool, and I hope your able to keep things going as you have. It's nice to see you can allow them around and yet they haven't hit you really yet. Knock, knock, knock on wood! It's pretty rare to see anyone post anything good about a heron and a goldfish or Koi pond. Keep up the good work!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I feel since i built the pond, made a attractive feeding station, it is unfair to the critters it attracts to kill them. We could easily, have good shooting instruments, usually hit the bulls eye, but I would rather learn about the bird(s). Even if we killed the two that have show up, more will come. The monacacy river has a good population, the river is maybe 5 miles from us.

I have noticed in the last few visits the alligator really kept the birds attention. The heron that went over the fence did not see the gator, it had drifted over by the waterfall, hidden by plants. I move it so it was more in the center of the pond but a long enough line to drift around. I have it tied with fishing line to a rock, with the slightest breeze it moves around. The heron that jumped the fence came the next day during that visit the alligator spun in the wind turned nose first to the bird. At that point the heron backed up and started grooming, sort of like...........not scared not scared not scared lol, but then it left the pond and went up the stream.

Only time will tell if we really win. I did put a couple rows of netting over the top, the anti deer fencing, black poly stuff. light weight, but stiff enough it would stay up off the water. We are gone too long to take a chance with the heron, even though my pond is deep I am sure it would get some. Probably the big ones. When we get back in town, I will be pulling down the netting and keep testing the herons ability to attack. With the cameras we can do a search and see if any come by, and jw will sure let me know if she see's one come around.

They can come and eat all the bugs they want, we have an abundance right now, as we cool and finally got some rain.

........Can't get the fish, might as well groom myself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll keep a watch for ya addy but don't know what I can do if he gets in there somehow. That would be torture for me to watch him get your fish!
Maybe you can hook me up to a push button alarm that sends off a horrible sound if I see him getting in there. You're good w/ all those electronic gadgets! Kind of like a hot line to the president in case of a nuclear attack,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol jw, that would be bad, just as when we look from florida and see the heron munching away. Right now I do not think there is much of a chance that it can. It would need to fly in between two nets, a gap of around a foot. Or land on the nets and try to drag them down, but they are not real flat looking or inviting. (I hope)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
After all you went through I went out and put fish line across my pond w/ one yellow rope also from end to end as a warning to look before you leap in sucka! Cuz we will be taking off in Oct. also and don't want to chance coming home to no fish. Now all I have to worry about is the psycho 13 yr old in the area that wants to seek revenge on me and other neighbors for not allowing him to ride like Evil Kineval down our road. He gets his psychoness from his dad who decided to squirt me w/ the hose several times a couple weeks ago. Cops told him I could press charges as that is considered assault. I chose not to do it tho. Poor cop kept saying to me "I'm so sorry this happened to you". He said he would not be so forgiving if it had happened to him. This is what I get for trying to be nice and keep it all neighborly and being the spokesperson for our neighborhood in dealing w/ this issue. Cop took care of it tho. Told the father and his kid to keep off of our property and never to use a hose as a weapon again or bingo.................go directly to jail! I found out later he was sentenced a few yrs ago to 4yrs in prison for Misprison of a Felony. He received 4 years of probation which included home confinement for 180 days and 200 hours of community service.
Then later he violated the following conditions of his supervised release:
1. Committing the crime of possession of a controlled substance, on or about March 27, 2009, in violation of the general condition that defendant not commit another crime.
I don't know what happened w/ that one yet. If ya wanna know what misprison of a felony is: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000004----000-.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, damn that clear water! :) I sure enjoyed watching your videos, but I'm sure glad it's you and not me! I could much easier put a cover over my pond, since my deck would be sturdy for one side, but I sure feel bad for all the work you are putting into making your pond safe. You sure have a ton of babies, though! WOW!!! Those koi had better get big fast and eat the eggs and fry next year. LOL I'm thrilled for the 10 or so babies I have from the 2 spawnings this year. Perfect. I will be thinning out quite a few of the solid orange goldfish next spring, maybe wait and see if people are interested in them. For now, I need to locate a use aquarium so I can catch the plecostomus (he went in the pond in late June at maybe 7" and is at least 10" now .... ) and take pics of him and get him to a new home! I would never have put him in had I realized he could not stay the winter. Stupid me!
Well, good luck! I sure hope your new system will keep you relaxed while you are gone.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Am I missing something or misreading, this is the second post i have read that seems to be saying Addy has Koi, Do she add some I don't know about? Are we still not sure if the rescue fish are koi, Or is Country talking about her Koi. I noticed on the other heron thread cometkeith mad a remark about koi now I'm windering if I missed something. Could be, I don't read every post like I was doing.

Ask a Question