New pond for Summer Yipee

Daz

Reaction score
Hi guys i have loads of ideas for my new pond which I've dreamed about for the last 30 years.

I'm hoping to get stuck in about January weather permitting.

I have a deck area that's not used much its about 8ftx7ft but can expand if i wish' i would like to completly hide the box filter which i've already purchased.

I also want the inlet and out let hoses from my pump to be under the water so would need some ideas there .
i would also like the pond to flatten out flush with my lawn as its on a slope

sorry to ramble on but i'm really buzzing to get these ideas finalized been thinking about it for weeks know

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you thinking a submersible pump going to an external filter? What kind of filter you use will kinda depend on what the pond will hold. Is it going to be just plants or plants and fish? Where do you life and what dimensions are you thinking about? All of that info will be helpful for us to give any and all advice on your build.

Daz

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the reply

These are the bits of kit I've purchased already
Jebao UBF 9000 Litre Black Box Biological Koi Fish Pond Filter 11w UV Filtration
Jebao Submersible EMP Series Dual Inlet Pond Filter Pump 10000lph
POND SURFACE SKIMMER HYDRO SKIM

I live in Birmingham Uk kings heath area.

I'm really good with inventing all sorts of gizmo's so hope i can really put something stunning together but need all your experience to guide me through
I hope to add fish and also some plants to really blend it in to the surrounding area

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
It is always best to have the pond slightly higher than the pond so that lawn chemicals do not wash into the pond during a heavy rain, so you might want to think about having it flush with the lawn. My ponds are all slightly built up and I like them that way, things do not blow into pond so easy and it makes it easier to view and touch the fish if you do not have to reach too far down.

Daz

Reaction score
Totally agree its on a slight bank and water runs down it a fair bit so would build a small drain at the end what do you think to my purchases ?

Daz

Reaction score
Its really big in the box i only want to utilize the dual inlet pump and maybe i will turn the pump down to match the filter ?

Daz

Reaction score
as you can see the far side deck is where i want to install

Attachments

• WP_000600.jpg
    WP_000600.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 256

Daz

Reaction score
i dont mean to sound negative but I think that is a very small skimmer and the pump you bought is rated higher than the filter can handle.
Just looked at the skimmer details its
Min flowrate: 4500lph (990 gph)

Height: 680-850mm (adjustable)

Hose: 25-40mm

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Install a box skimmer instead of the in-pond style. It will solve your problem with hiding the plumbing, it has a much greater capacity, it will handle the pump that you have chosen and it is easier to maintain. In-pond skimmers are very inefficient and a real PITA to maintain.

Install a small retaining wall behind your pond on the slope side. Better visually and can easily control run-off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Daz, For a small pond you don't really need a skimmer. I enjoy my weekly ritual of netting debris off the top. It give me the excuse to spend a little more time watching my fish! If your pump is rated a little higher than your filter you can always put a splitter valve in so you have two hoses coming off it and let one of them feed a waterfall. Building a pond is a very empirical science with a lot of trial and error. Just make sure you read up how to cycle a pond before you put fish in so they don't have to learn from your mistakes. Also algae is very typical for a new pond and don't worry if you get some in the beginning. All of us were beginners once and the learning with a pond never really stops. Good luck!

Daz

Reaction score
Think i would like to install some under water pipes just need to source them

Ask a Question