sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and it looks like your property slopes to the deck so you will need to watch out for water run off into the pond .I used 45 mil pond guard epdm .Just rebuilt mine in march of 2014

Attachments

• pond rebuild 022.JPG
    pond rebuild 022.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 238

Daz

Reaction score
Guys I've decided on going for a couple of flange connectors so my pipes are under the water out of site has anyone any good videos or instructions when fitting these?
also would my liner have to be rubber to achieve this ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
First bulk head I got was from tractor supply and were expensive ,check online they are cheaper online

Daz

Reaction score
Been thinking a little more about this' my plan is to hide my gravity fed filter in a location around 2 metres away from the pond' it will be above pond level' my question is' the clean water that passes through the filter is gravity fed can this still be returned through a flange connector under the water level ?
i also realise that this may not produce enough oxygen in the water' so next question is' can a venturi be fitted to the outlet of my filter ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Been thinking a little more about this' my plan is to hide my gravity fed filter in a location around 2 metres away from the pond' it will be above pond level' my question is' the clean water that passes through the filter is gravity fed can this still be returned through a flange connector under the water level ?
i also realise that this may not produce enough oxygen in the water' so next question is' can a venturi be fitted to the outlet of my filter ?

A somewhat unconventional approach, but yes the return can be below the water level of the pond. Flow may need to be regulated based on pipe size.
The Dissolved Oxygen level in a pond is mainly determined by two (2) factors- a) Surface area of the pond and b) by algae and submerged plants through photosynthesis. A venturi will do little to increase the Oxygen level.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pvc off my pond to move the water on top of my pond.The pump goes to the filter and T's off to the pvc pipe with adapters and end caps on it .What it looked like before I (last pic )moved it under the bridge and turned one in the other direction .I wanted the water come out both sides under the bridge

Attachments

• pond 015.JPG
    pond 015.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 192
  • pond 012.JPG
    pond 012.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 207
  • pond 2014 006.JPG
    pond 2014 006.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 202
  • pond 2014 008.JPG
    pond 2014 008.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 215

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have to tie it to something so you can raise and lower it to whatever you want the water to come out at .Really helps aerate the water and cuts down on algae ,at least for me it has .Not saying it works but seems to do great for me

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Daz I'm late to the party on your pond project but it will be fun watching you build it when it finally comes to happening :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use pvc off my pond to move the water on top of my pond.The pump goes to the filter and T's off to the pvc pipe with adapters and end caps on it .What it looked like before I (last pic )moved it under the bridge and turned one in the other direction .I wanted the water come out both sides under the bridge
What is your reasoning behind either of these configurations?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wanted the top water to keep moving to aerate the water and so far with the new pond i had algae for 1 week and then set this up but with a ball valve at first like i had with my other pond .I don't have a skimmer but have 2 filters .Don't really need a skimmer since no leaves really fall in the pond .I bought an aerator any ways ,don't know why .I think it really helps the water quality ,just like growing plants in my filters .put 2 of them in my waterfall also .Last pic was taken of waterfall after having them running all summer long .I do sort of quirky things to just see what happens .You can also see that in some of the stuff I create and build .I don't like normal predictable

Attachments

• waterfall spitters 009.JPG
    waterfall spitters 009.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 182
  • waterfall spitters 012.JPG
    waterfall spitters 012.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 185
  • pond 11-4- 2014 004.JPG
    pond 11-4- 2014 004.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 238
  • my tractor 004.JPG
    my tractor 004.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 178
  • out house 002.JPG
    out house 002.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 207

Daz

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a question i hope some one can help me out with regarding hiding my pond liner.

I really want a high level of water in my raised sleeper pond and dont want to see pond liner.
i have seen many raised ponds with the liner showing so really want to avoid making the same mistakes' i have noticed that people seem to fit another sleeper on top of the liner which makes the water level pretty low compared to the top of the pond.pond. I'm thinking of installing some 1/2inch trim over the liner which over hangs the pond reducing the unsightly liner' i was also thinking of making a rebate on the top of my sleepers a kind of L shape if you like so the liner sits back further' i have also thought about rebating some trim so its thickest part is hanging into the water.

As you can see its been on my mind a fair bit lately so if you have any good suggestions please let me no

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First, if you will, kindly translate. I have been crafting ponds for 20 years and have never heard the terms 'sleeper' and 'rebate' used in pond construction and have no idea what you are saying.

Ask a Question