New pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have constructed a new pond about 4 weeks ago and the water is cloudy and green. I have read on here about plants, plants and more plants but which plants are best to compete with algae. I know I have to be patient but any help will be appreciated. The pond is 3.6metres x 2.4metres and has 3 koi approx 5lbs and 8 goldfish. I have half a dozen smallish plants already but I don't know if they compete well with the algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have new pond syndrome, part of the issue. Plants in a bog type filter do the best in competing with algae. Or floaters.
I built mine with a bog and after the few weeks or so of it running never had green cloudy water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You have new pond syndrome, part of the issue. Plants in a bog type filter do the best in competing with algae. Or floaters.
I built mine with a bog and after the few weeks or so of it running never had green cloudy water.
Thanks for your reply. I will look to find out what a big type filter is. Sorry for my ignorance but I will learn.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bog filter, basically you have a container, a lined pond type structure. Put pvc pipes in the bottom with holes or slits, pump water up through rocks pea gravel etc, plant plants and let it water fall back into the pond.

Here is a long thread about building one. Mine is basic others are making real fancy ones.............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. I will look to find out what a big type filter is. Sorry for my ignorance but I will learn.
it's really just a natural and very efficient way to filter a water source. Instead of relying on smaller, more maintenance man-made constructs, you're basically providing a lot more area for the good bacteria to colonize and giving a lot of space for plants to be more involved with keeping your water clear. More plants means more competition for algae. More surface area (bog stone) means more good bacteria. With the filters you buy off the shelf, they require regular maintenance, especially if you're overloaded (and they more often fail at this point) with fish. A bog is something you only thin (the plants) on occasion as you want the aggressive growth of said same to work for you. A bog is more labor (sometimes cost) to set up but once you have, you'll do next to nothing for years. It also becomes part of your pond instead of something you have to hide or is a visible mishmash of drums, pipes, valves, containers, electrical panels, and various media, all of which cost considerably as you ramp up your filter needs to meet your pond's bio and mechanical load production. A bog simplifies all this and results in clear water. A bog is a biofilter, though, not meant to mechanical filter, though it does this too on some scale. Best to always put your pond pump up off the bottom though as you don't want to deliberately send large debris to your bog. Some have prefilters for just that.

In the 10 years now that I've had a pond, I only ever had green water initially and for barely a month as the system takes hold. And where you hear stories of green water every spring, I never get that, not since that first time. There's a simple beauty to a bog and that's why many of us here are Bog Warriors!

Ask a Question