New Test Kit, PH high

Reaction score
Just tried my water test kit for my pond which has been running about 1 1/2 weeks. The water seems to be much clearer today after going a little green. Just been adding benificial bacteria.

My PH is 7.8
My High PH is 8.2
Amonia is 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates 0

Fish are lively and loving life, 5 total small fish, 2 goldies, 2 shubs and one tiny koi. Pond size is arounf 1100 gals and its been hot here in Buffalo. Direct sun all day, 15% plant coverage.

Any recommendations for lowering my PH

David
I just live my new pond and fish :rolleyes::lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi David, Adding more plants will lower the PH naturally. I don't think 8.2 is that bad for a new pond and I would just add plants and let nature take it's course.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would leave it be David, fish are fine at 8.2
Mine was low. 5ish (last summer) when I started due to our well which is 5.5 or so. Beginning of this year pond was 7ish (added baking soda) then added crushed oyster shells, our water is soft. Then the pond jumped to 9-10 ph, I was omg what should I do mode. But fish were spawning, fry running around, tads, fish eating, plants growing. I left it alone. Now pond has balanced out to 7-8 plus ph. It varies on the time of day I check it.

1g37SbS8mW4AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
from the net:
http://users.vcnet.com/rrenshaw/ph.html

As a general rule, hard water is usually alkaline and soft water is usually slightly acidic.

A pH reading of 7.0 - 8.5 is really ideal for Koi,
however they can survive in ranges between 6.0 - 9.0.

Increasing pH may be an indication that lime is leaching out of concrete. Evaporation can, to a lesser degree, also cause an upswing.
Decreasing pH is primarily due to bacterial action taking place, which often is caused by lots of debris and sludge on the pond's bottom.

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My regular pH is 7.8. A "high" PH test came with the kit which i'm not sure is for. So, my actua pH is 7.8, and this "high" PH is 8.2 (salt water aquariums maybe?)

I'll leave it alone, water seems to be clearing up nicely which is surprizing to me because of my lack of plant coverage and the hot weather.

Thanks,

David

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The high test ph is for when your ph is over the test limit of the other liquid. Mine comes with both, a low and a high test liquid. When my pond was hitting the 9-10 level I had to use the high test to get an accurate measurement.

Reaction score
The PH kit tests from 6 to 7.6 PH. If it maxes out on the chart you use the High PH test.

I run at 7.8-8 PH so I don't ever use the regular test, only the High test.

Ask a Question