New TV Show - Pond Stars

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Semantics....

Being certified to build ponds using AS products (skimmer, pump, biofalls) is not the same as running a franchised business where all elements of your operation are controlled and monitored. Once a pond builder is a CAC, they go about their business of building ponds. They may or may not stick to the training they received - some people are stubborn that way.

So how many of these CACs have you met you are giving out bad ecosystem advice? You said it's so many you can't even believe how many - that must be a large number. Or was that hyperbole?

Reaction score
Being certified to build ponds using AS products (skimmer, pump, biofalls) is not the same as running a franchised business where all elements of your operation are controlled and monitored. Once a pond builder is a CAC, they go about their business of building ponds. They may or may not stick to the training they received - some people are stubborn that way.

So how many of these CACs have you met you are giving out bad ecosystem advice? You said it's so many you can't even believe how many - that must be a large number. Or was that hyperbole?
Kabillions. All clueless.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I watched the latest show and freaked when the guy cut that slit in the liner! Hope the patch job lasts. I'm sure it will tho especially since it was patched w/o water in the pond. I sure would like to see some of those features they built after a few years just to see how the maintenance goes. The rocks look very nice in all their projects but just wonder how hard it is to keep the water clear so as to keep seeing the rocks. They must use good vacs to suck the muck up or really good flow circulation somehow. Do they ever build rockless bottomed ponds I wonder?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Kabillions. All clueless.

Riiiiighhhht. Every last one of them.

I watched the latest show and freaked when the guy cut that slit in the liner! Hope the patch job lasts. I'm sure it will tho especially since it was patched w/o water in the pond. I sure would like to see some of those features they built after a few years just to see how the maintenance goes. The rocks look very nice in all their projects but just wonder how hard it is to keep the water clear so as to keep seeing the rocks. They must use good vacs to suck the muck up or really good flow circulation somehow. Do they ever build rockless bottomed ponds I wonder?

@j.w. Every AS pond is rocked, which is why AS is a dirty word in many "pond circles" (haha! get it? Pond... circles?) ANYWAY! They build on the concept that the rock and gravel adds to the ecosystem balance by giving the good bacteria lots of surface area to flourish. It also provides an environment for all kinds of microscopic water creatures to live. Lots of little things in that water that you never even see or know are there!

The rocks do grow a layer of algae, just like a liner will, so they don't keep that clean rock look. I think that's why some people like to drain and power wash their pond every spring, to get that look again. Personally I like the way the rocks look covered with a nice carpet of algae. The water stays clear though - the rocks don't affect that. And as for cleaning - we don't vacuum our pond. Just net up the leaves from the bottom and it's all good. I get in the pond every other week or so to clean up the lilies and putter around - no muck on the bottom and, in fact, there's never more than just a fine layer of silt that settles very quickly once I get out. The bottom is a shallow layer of gravel - no more than an inch or so deep. I guess it's really a matter of what kind of look you prefer in your pond.

Reaction score
Riiiiighhhht. Every last one of them.

As far as i can tell. For example one woman, claiming to be an aquascapes certified master installer suggested that a person pour a bottle of beneficial bacteria into her pond to speed up the cycle. I asked her is she could tell me what was in the bottle and of course she could not.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 I can see where yours would be easier to skim the junk off the gravel bottom but how do they manage the ones w/ those big rocks here and there amongst all sizes of rocks? They must use a vacuum as it would be so hard to walk around in there or use a net crammed in between the rocks. I noticed or it seemed anyways to me that they just put the fish right in after they built the ponds w/o waiting for the water to adjust. Maybe time flies by and they just don't tell you they waited or they put in their own bacteria/ammonia to cycle the water faster, I don't know. Wish they would tell more about the specifics in those shows on what they do. Time on tv is big money tho so guess they can't do that. It's fun to watch them build anyways. I cringed at the jack hammer they had to use to get through that rocky soil in that one place. I am so lucky I have sandy soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
those big rocks here and there amongst all sizes of rocks?

I think they had a pretty good water flow in that particular pond with the large stream so debris probably just keeps moving. Was there a skimmer? I can't remember seeing one. And I thought the same about the fish - I wish they would explain that you need to wait before you add fish.

Reaction score
Rolling my eyes...
Why do you always have to sound like such a jerk? I'm not picking a fight I'm just calling you out on your rude behavior. Grow up or shut up. Know one cares if your rolling your eyes so keep it to your self. And I could give a rats A&@ what the topic is and who is right or wrong, your just rude.

Reaction score
My next question is when do the Mods get involved and strike needless comments like, rolling my eyes, Semantics, and Kabillions. All clueless. DP seems to be the one to pick an argument and he knows how and what he does, bully.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My next question is when do the Mods get involved and strike needless comments like, rolling my eyes, Semantics, and Kabillions. All clueless. DP seems to be the one to pick an argument and he knows how and what he does, bully.

Usually it doesn't get too bad on these forums. dieselplower is one of the more...shall we say... "aggressive" members here, but we all have thoughts, opinions, and various experiences, so its important to keep everything friendly and informative. We all just have to remember we are here for the love of ponds, not to cause or be apart of arguments. If we see a discussion turning that way, the best thing to do is try to steer it into something more positive. One of the best things about a pond is that it can be very peaceful and stress-reducing, so we should carry that over into our conversations about them. (y)

Reaction score
Usually it doesn't get too bad on these forums. dieselplower is one of the more...shall we say... "aggressive" members here, but we all have thoughts, opinions, and various experiences, so its important to keep everything friendly and informative. We all just have to remember we are here for the love of ponds, not to cause or be apart of arguments. If we see a discussion turning that way, the best thing to do is try to steer it into something more positive. One of the best things about a pond is that it can be very peaceful and stress-reducing, so we should carry that over into our conversations about them. (y)
Exactly, how long and how many people does he get to talk to like that and we all just sit quietly and let him say whatever he wants. If he can't TRY to say anything nice then he needs to read another post or take a happy pill. I just ignored him as I have little tolerance.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I liked this weeks episode but do wish they explained some of their work. Think the answer to seemingly early release of the fish could be explained by editing. We really have no idea how long the waited. Tasks on the show move along very fast. Too fast. I bet they take more time than stated.

Reaction score
Why do you always have to sound like such a jerk? I'm not picking a fight I'm just calling you out on your rude behavior. Grow up or shut up. Know one cares if your rolling your eyes so keep it to your self. And I could give a rats A&@ what the topic is and who is right or wrong, your just rude.
This is in response to DP , thought I hit reply to one of his comments.

Reaction score
By the way, have you all noriced Waterbug is ling gone? This forum does have a way of treating knowledgeable members in a way that they leave. Charles posts are also almost non existent. If you want to have a forum full of worthless garbage happy posts, good for you. Just expect, as is has happening, for all the knowledgeable members to leave! And then the forum will be a total joke.

Ask a Question