Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
@brokensword I have not only lived in NJ but also came from Berwick and Benton PA.My parents house when I grew up was in the outskirts of Benton PA (which we visited often 3000 + acre family farm )and then my parents retired to the outskirts of Berwick PA..I wanted a change but not a big change in weather and looked at different areas to move when I retired and this was the cheapest area and had the least amount of storms .Plus had in laws here so it was the best place for us .I loved my in laws and when the past it was like loosing my mom and dad again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ummm Yep! LOVE my Kubota and got a great man! I was widowed in a older age where it is "hard" to find a person to marry. Neither of us were looking for a partner, it just happened.

When my hubby died I had around 7 men offer to move in with me. No desire for them, a few ready to leave wives to move in, no thanks!
so, what you really are saying is you held out for a better offer...a guy with a Kubota! Got it! Don't have to hit ME over the head...

heh

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword I have not only lived in NJ but also came from Berwick and Benton PA.My parents house when I grew up was in the outskirts of Benton PA (which we visited often 3000 + acre family farm )and then my parents retired to the outskirts of Berwick PA..I wanted a change but not a big change in weather and looked at different areas to move when I retired and this was the cheapest area and had the least amount of storms .Plus had in laws here so it was the best place for us .I loved my in laws and when the past it was like loosing my mom and dad again
how's the humidity there by you, sissy? Once (when I was a lot dumber), I figured to maybe retire in the Carolinas. Then I heard all about Carolina summers and decided I better keep looking!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
August is our hottest month and not bad compared to NC .plus land tax here is cheaper .My niece has been flooded out 2 times in NC .Here 1000 dollars n 3 acres .She pays 2000 dollars on less than a half acre .www.danriverassociationofrealtors.com .looked at NC but decided here was better .Glad I did because Greenville NC flooded 2 times last year

Reaction score
Sorry you had to go through this, I feel your pain. We did a rent to own to my Brother in law even though I told my wife repeated it was a very bad idea and I would end up being the bad guy when i kicked them out. She moved her brother, sister and nephew in without telling me and no written agreement. Lived there for almost 2 months before we got first rent payment, then next month nothing. The brother was supposed to be taking care of it. Finally her sister stepped up and made sure rent was paid. 10 months later her sister moved out and the boys stopped paying, I wasn't surprised. I found out a few months before that, her brother lied to us repeated about selling his house to buy ours, things went downhill between him and I, they got an eviction noticed, they finally moved out. They left trash in the house, left the dog run the house while they were moving back into his old house meaning all carpets had to be yanked and replaced. That was last August and I'm still remodeling/cleaning. Most of house has been painted, have to put 1/2 bath together, work in basement and do some outside work, winter really shut me down on things. I am so ready to sell this house, but have a couple months of work left to go.

Good luck with yours.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we were renting it out again, we would already be done, but we are selling, no option. Done with this rental. This is the 4th rehab after renters move out. They look good on paper, then............downhill.

Therefore fixing it to sell mode. Just tiled the laundry and the basement bath, took down a wall that made the hallway real narrow (basement) replacing bath cabinet, toilet painting etc doing eye candy, basement. What a difference!

Just trimmed out the upstairs bath, trimmed the glass block, base under cabinet, trimmed the top of the tile. Bath floor needs to be cleaned still. Two bedrooms, except for putting face plates back on the electric outlets are DONE! Spent the day fixing paint, caulking, tweaking, a 100 year old place nothing is straight, flat, easy.

Love all the pvc type trim out there! It works wonderfully.
20180223_104851.jpg
20180223_104900.jpg
20180226_134844.jpg
20180226_134855.jpg

Tomorrow sunny 60f we need to do bee work, so staying home.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did a pay forward by buying a house and 12 acre's of land for 27 thousand dollars ,the bank wanted 39 thousand and I got it way cheaper for a needy family here and have not had 1 problem with their payback to me .Interest free 200 dollars a month and they do not have to pay for December and it has been like this since 2011.They have even improved on the property

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She moved her brother, sister and nephew in without telling me and no written agreement.
NEVER rent to friends or family................nothing but regrets. We rented to a "friend" I knew him for 27 years, worked with him. I needed my house taken care of while moving across country. 600 a month to rent a custom 4000 sq ft house.
Well he quit paying, started selling stuff I had in the shop, moved "renters" into the garage and house, didn't pay the electric bill. I had to fly back to evict him, evict the "renters" one was a gal, she threatened to become a squatter, then fell in love with me when I was there trying to remove her and work on the house, she trashed my hubby. Called him a fat old man.............. Still tries to connect via facebook, no thanks.
A motorcycle wanna be mechanic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I have been really lucky compared to some stories I here .Had 3 neighbors that rented out their houses when they could not sell them and renters destroyed them .But lucky for me mine are not renters and have pride in their home and land .They know they are really lucky

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reminder to some that your dishwasher needs cleaning at least 2 or 3 times a year .Plus run the hot water .I had to go over a fix Tammy"s dishwasher and yuck .The hose was plugged up and the pump was all mucked upped .She had no clue why it was filling up with water and not draining .Took an hour of smelly work to clean it but it is working great now .She could not believe it .Washing machines need the pumps cleaned out once in awhile also .Oh well saved her money on repairman

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our tenant in Florida died. We do not know if there is a will, or if we will be now wrapped up in probate court.

Brother says go into house. But estranged daughter is first in line. Families can turn nasty about money and stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no, sorry to hear that @addy1 :( I don't fully understand how things work in the US - are you not permitted to enter your property now that she has died?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you owned it, you can make sure it’s secured. If you’re worried about her family, see if police will go with you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why it is better to arrange ahead of time .Dad and mom here in VA prearranged everything .Boy was that great as when my mom and dad died in PA it was a nightmare .All they left was a will that left everything to me and nothing to my brother and the will said I could include my brother if I wished too .Which I did .But PA laws are funny compared to NJ as I even got from the state of PA an orphan's pay .Funny 30 year old orphan and so did my brother and lawyer set that forward

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Her family is out of state. Not worried about them physically. But we can be sued if we remove stuff off hers and they claim it was left to them.
The estate should continue to pay rent until her estate is settled.....i think.

We will need to make a trip to remove junk. Still fighting rats. All food is gone.

We told the neighbor to not allow anybody in. Most of the furniture is ours.

We told her to stay out for her legal protection.

Ask a Question