Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few shots from Florida,

The food in the fridge, rotted, expired, stunk, not running well, too stuffed. We sent someone to work on it and they could not. About a month ago
FOT2DB8.jpg

The stuff in the cabinets, expired, bulging, exploding.
The neighbor, with a key, took care of some of it, we hired a company to come in and remove the bad food, trash etc. Need to get a handle on the rats. Florida has roof rats, they even come up through the toilet.
We have a extermination company fighting the rats.
FOT9EB5.jpg

When we were down there in Nov. had to fix some shelves, they collapsed under the weight of the stuff. We offered to clean out all expired food, she said she would do it. Well never happened.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue why she had so much food, she hardly eats.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Was she really buying the food or was somebody bringing it to her .
A combination, people would leave for the summer give her their food. She would go shopping, buy a large bag of lettuce etc it would just rot. Most in the fridge was rotted, moldy. Most in the cupboards was many years old, it gets that old smell, old oils, grease. Bags the food is in bitten by the rats, some poo, etc.

Her weight, when she went into the ER was 68 lbs, she is as tall as I am, 5'8", one year younger.

She still drives, not sure she should be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is my mom to a T. She eats like a bird but has enough food for an army.

@addy1 you are really sharpening your home remodeling skills!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you are really sharpening your home remodeling skills!
thanks........... when working on a old house, uneven walls, uneven floors, shaky plumbing, old plaster over lathe over brick (crumbles when you touch it) we have to learn how to handle it. I do the eye candy fixes, tile, painting, trims, my honey does the grunt work, plumbing, tear down, moving walls and of course electricity, since he is an electrician.

My eyes pick up things he never sees, the details that make a difference. My job was very dependent on the eyes, sonographer for many years.

This is our biggest project since we have been together. A lot of issues, at least the roaches are dead.

We are trying to sale one a year more or less. As we age getting tired of having rentals.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
(y)Don't stress out as that can cause more problems .You and hubbies health is most important
We go with the flow, just handle each item as it appears. Summer is the worse time for us to leave, those buzzing bugs keep us busy.
Florida might end up being our winter project, redoing that place and putting it up for sale.........make honey happy down in warm Florida rather than cold Maryland. I enjoy the cold he does not.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't mind the cold as long as it is not below 50 degrees ;)Is that cold

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no, @sissy , that's not. Having lived in NJ, you're well versed in what cold looks like, I'm thinkin! For a real definition, we always defer to Mitch or Colleen. Should have a star by their names so newbies can reach out and get a proper understanding!

heh

@addy1 ; for the very reasons you've clearly shown is why I never got into the rental business. I would have made a good landlord re fixing things but dealing with people that don't give a sh*t what they do to place (theirs or someone else's) would have made me gray long long ago. And sometimes, I provide lawn maintenance for renters and they are by far the worst. If I knew this when they first contacted me, I'd probably give their places a pass but once I sign on, I honor my word, etc.

Anyway, you're doing great work and think when you have LESS to do, you'll probably enjoy the few that are left a lot more. Or maybe you'll finally see what all the fuss is about re retirement living; you might like it!

Michael

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
for the very reasons you've clearly shown is why I never got into the rental business.
lol I swore I would NEVER do a rental again, after the few with first hubby...............well that didn't last since new hubby had rentals. It was either marry him with rentals or find someone else............I chose him with rentals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol I swore I would NEVER do a rental again, after the few with first hubby...............well that didn't last since new hubby had rentals. It was either marry him with rentals or find someone else............I chose him with rentals.
well, you DID get a Kubota outta the deal, right????:p

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well, you DID get a Kubota outta the deal, right????:p
ummm Yep! LOVE my Kubota and got a great man! I was widowed in a older age where it is "hard" to find a person to marry. Neither of us were looking for a partner, it just happened.

When my hubby died I had around 7 men offer to move in with me. No desire for them, a few ready to leave wives to move in, no thanks!

Ask a Question