Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Jan 18, 2018.

1. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We heard from the daughter, all willed to her. The brother, whom claimed he had no knowledge of her name, number etc, called her. She called the neighbors, the neighbors found papers about her estate, mailed them to the daughter. The daughter called us, she is deciding if she wants to come down or just have us take care of the stuff, ship her anything valuable.

Sad in a way she was going to come down and see her mom, has not talked to or seen her in 30 years. The brother never told her we had called him and told him how frail she was.

A load off our minds.

Added some glue on shelves to the bath. Bought two new toilets, 89 bucks at costco, push button flush, easier than cleaning the old ones, stained etc. 20180303_085221.jpg 20180303_085228.jpg

addy1, Mar 4, 2018
    Tula and j.w like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

I thought this was the new hot tub..............not the new potty!
    Please don't flush! 20180308_123142.jpg

addy1, Mar 9, 2018
    Jetta, RobAmy, Gemma and 5 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

Lisak1

Oh, you have a soft spot for that adorable Missy! What a bright eyed cutie!

Lisak1, Mar 9, 2018
  4. addy1

Beyond a soft spot, she is a huge part of our life.

She was so cute this morning, ran to the bed rolled over with legs in the air. She did not want to go to Baltimore. Can't blame her.

addy1, Mar 9, 2018
    Tula and j.w like this.
  5. addy1

Becky Administrator

She is just so pretty! I love those big brown eyes :love:

Becky, Mar 9, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  6. addy1

JamieB

Talking about helping others and getting burned; I have had that happen. But I’ve also had the reverse. I picked up an older guy hitch hiking, in south east ok. He was trying to get to Colorado to help his sister. I fed him dinner, bought him some water or tea, drove him to my place, let him fix his tent. Had to work the next day early, came home to find he’d raked the yard, fixed his rent, washed the towel he’d used as well as his laundry. I bought him some phone time, and he text when he made it to Colorado. If I recall, his sister was sick, going through a divorce. He texted out of the blue like a year later, saying he was staying up there to care for her. I was glad to help.
    Sometimes helping bites us on the butt. Other times it comes back as karma.

JamieB, Mar 9, 2018
    j.w and addy1 like this.
  7. addy1

Tula

@addy1 , I'm just now catching up on this thread and am very sorry your elderly tenant died. How awful the mother and daughter hadn't seen one another in 30 years :(

I understand your love of Missy as I feel the same for my sweet GiGi :)

Tula, Mar 9, 2018
  8. addy1

Yeah no clue why. We are flying down to meet her and hubby next Friday. She is telling us she needs closure, alone time in the house, sorry no alone time. Closure happened 30 years ago when she quit talking to her mom. They live in Iowa.

Everything in the house is ours, except papers clothes etc. We rented it to her as a turn key.
    It is our responsibility to oversee.

addy1, Mar 9, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  9. addy1

Tula

I'm sure you and hubby are anxious for "closure" as well - LOL !

Tula, Mar 9, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  10. addy1

We need to get all the rat nesting material out of the house. They are still living in it even though there is no food. Getting a small dumpster delivered.

We won't work on the place until Nov, too busy now, bees, Baltimore, spring, yard.................etc.
    It will be our winter vaca

Have another tenant, 74-75 had to send someone over to check thermostat, he put in a dead battery, got mad when we told him to change it for another. Started screaming at my hubby. The repair guy said he is showing signs of early Alzheimer, we will try to reach his son (need to get number) let him know he needs to be living with someone. We have seen signs of confusion, but the repair guy said he could not figure out what temperature settings were for, what to set the house at, etc. Dangerous to be on his own.
    He gave us issues when we went to fix the place a little over a year ago, but still seemed competent.

addy1, Mar 9, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  11. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh the joys of being a landlord! I remember the guy who was giving you grief awhile back @addy1 . Guess it's time for him to move on and let someone help him live somewhere else not on his own. Nobody wants to let go of their freedom and sad to see it happen but lots of times it does and what can ya do. Would not want it to happen to me but hey it might.

j.w, Mar 10, 2018
  12. addy1

He has been there over 12 years, it will be hard for him to move. We worry about his ability to care for himself, like we did with the tenant that just passed. She just became worse in the last 4 months.
    He has show some confusion, but still functional. Sounds like he is getting worse. Lives alone.

addy1, Mar 10, 2018
  13. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

Poor guy. I just wanna go in my sleep before I get too out of it, mean and crazy.....................ok no comments @HARO :rolleyes:

j.w, Mar 10, 2018
  14. addy1

Lisak1

You could never be mean @j.w ! Now, crazy? We'll probably all get there eventually!

Lisak1, Mar 10, 2018
    addy1, HARO and j.w like this.
  15. addy1

HARO Pondcrastinator

MOI???? No comment! :whistle:
    John

HARO, Mar 11, 2018
    j.w, bettasngoldfish and addy1 like this.
  16. addy1

We struggle with asking him to move. But if we finally do, we need to make sure family is involved. And it will be the next one to fix and sale. He is a plumber, years ago put a screw through the main water line, flooded the place. The flooring is yuck. We tired to change it out when doing the bathroom fix (he had no working sink) the kitchen fix (cabinets falling apart, counter rotted) but he kept throwing us out, claiming we were only doing it to evict him. So we made it nicer for him, kitchen/bath, then quit in 2016.

addy1, Mar 11, 2018
  17. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

You did your best for him as I remember that situation and it is sad one @addy1
    His mind is not all there anymore and he sure needs some kind of family help. It will get all sorted out somehow I hope.
    After he's gone from the place, one less rental and more time for you to play at what you really want to be doing.

j.w, Mar 11, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  18. addy1

Not sure where I left things, think I said something in another thread.

Short and sweet, went to Fl, met daughter, not the estate rep, step kids (11) and her split the estate, one step brother is the rep. We got home on Tuesday, snow storm on Wednesday, back to Fl to meet the rep on Sunday.

Got that settled, nice guys. Loss three weeks of time to work on Baltimore dealing with Fl. We get home, 4/1 work a bit in Baltimore, spend 4 days on the bees, need to catch up on them and some decent weather.

Now back To Baltimore, doing the last floor.............in the basement. Finished all except some cuts in the hallway Another 300sq of flooring.

20180416_105907.jpg

Where the yellow is will be a mini kitchen, fridge, sink, microwave. Mother in law or rental unit. Exit door in the basement. Full bath.

Wish we were done...............Still have around 2-3 weeks of work, everything takes so much time. Value has gone up 70k (zillow) since we started working on it.

The one nice day I had no bee work, decided to pull dead plants, grasses, weeds, stuff
    Well got poison ivy on chest, back, down inside and outside of right arm. Bad attack, first in quite awhile. This was a poison ivy free zone, well it used to be. Did not see even a speck of it, must have been dead plants, roots whatever, darn stuff.

addy1, Apr 16, 2018
    MitchM, Becky, Tula and 1 other person like this.
  19. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

All sounds and looks great except for that horrid poison ivy!

j.w, Apr 16, 2018
  20. addy1

Tula

Ugh to the evil PI ! I hope the next 2-3 weeks pass smoothly and you get a swift sale on this place :)

Tula, Apr 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question