Our current project / disaster in progress (non pond)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We feel for her, she is younger than me. The neighbors worry about her.
No family support.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The elderly used to be respected and taken care of. They were not shuttled off to die in some expensive nursing home, fed tons of meds for every ailment by so called medical professionals, and ignored by their families. I don’t like the medical treatment going on these days of expensive meds pushed to keep folks alive longer than their bodies can stand. If I get some injury I can heal from, fine, I’ll take the meds till I’m better. If I’ve got good quality of life, or need more time to get things in order, I’ll take the meds. But if I’ve got some terminal illness, or my body is just shutting down, and all my affairs are in order, let me die peaceful, not hooked up on machines. My grandma died of Alzheimer’s, but due to her not having her affairs in order, and unresolved issues with her kids, we had no choice but to put her in a nursing home. It sucked. A long slow death, one I’d shoot myself before going through.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we had no choice but to put her in a nursing home. It sucked.
My honey took care of his parents, trips to Florida every 10-12 weeks, sometimes sooner. When we were together we went every 6 weeks, had nurses coming into the house to help care for his mom with Alzheimer, She lived for over 15 years with it. His siblings were on board, affairs in order, made it easier. I paid all the bills using their accounts.
When she passed her husband of 64 years died three weeks later, we were there with him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 - you really didn't need one more thing right now! I hope things start to slow down for you in time for spring.

On the plus side - your current disaster is no where near a disaster anymore! It's looking great! Are you still planning to sell?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you still planning to sell?
Yep selling selling selling. A place four houses down, they are fixing up and selling also. Done with tenants.

We hope she does not pass, but according to the neighbors she can not live alone anymore. I don't think they will release her until they know she can live alone. We are on hold on this one. A real loss in ability since we saw her in Nov.
I hope things start to slow down for you in time for spring.
Sign..................the bees are now picking up. The yard and pond need some attention...........if nothing else it gets busier. Our slow season was taken up by Baltimore. Oh well keeps us moving and healthy.

We still have around 3 weeks of work to do, maybe more or less. A lot of the time consuming detail work..................the small details make such a difference.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kitchen looking beautiful!
So sad tho about your tenant. Looks like you might have a bunch more work to do down there if she doesn't get to come home.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sad tho about your tenant. Looks like you might have a bunch more work to do down there if she doesn't get to come home.
We are having the neighbors, whom currently are dragging bags of food out, hire someone to get the rotting food out. They are wearing masks and gloves. They are documenting the issue, the mice and rats moving in. We don't want the neighbors, new to the area and 72 do all that work.

It will be our fall job, we would make a trip down to check things out, then in the fall go down and do a rehab, probably sell the unit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The house is looking fantastic, you've been doing a great job (y)

Sorry to hear about your tenant though, I hope she finds the help and support she needs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your tenant though, I hope she finds the help and support she needs.
We hope so to. It is a nice 55+ duplex type area. The neighbors tend to check up on each other. The new neighbors are going out of their way to help her and us with removal of the rotting food. It is a surprise to us she slipped so much since we saw her in Nov. There was some excess food in cupboards but not to the extent we are being told is going on now. I think her health fell to a point she could not take care of herself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Baltimore kitchen looks great and so does the star trim.

68 lbs - oh my, poor lady. Hopefully with some good nutrition, she'll improve.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We need to start on the basement. Honey is putting a efficiency kitchen down there. So if someone wanted to they could rent out the basement. The laundry is down there, but there is a bath, and a large room/bed rm/ studio apartment etc. Or party room or whatever.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Today staying home, 80f, going to inspect the last 4 hives and I am going to clean the bog, rake off the dead plant debris, leaves etc. Then do whatever else pops up...........might rain this afternoon.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Geeze addy when it rains it pours for you 2 with these rentals .Glad you are selling them ,less of a headache and your time and hubby to enjoy and relax .I just hope for you they sell fast when you put each on the market .With the low interest rates I am sure they will not last on the open market (y)Don't stress out as that can cause more problems .You and hubbies health is most important

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One bath almost done! need to clean, trim out the glass block, honey needs to attach the plumbing.

From this
20180113_154805.jpg
20180131_131158.jpg

To this
20180223_104825.jpg
20180223_104804.jpg

Trimmed out the edge of the block
20180223_104900.jpg
20180223_104851.jpg

Ask a Question