PLANNING THE BUDGET: Where should your money go?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was checking out some pond sites last night just to get a ballpark idea of what I need to ask Santa for this Christmas... Actually, that's not true because I won't know what I want/need by Christmas, so think I'll ask for $$ in my stocking ;)

Judging from what I saw, it looks like my liner will be the biggest cost item for me. I want the most durable, so am willing to spend a little more for that.

Pump; DIY filter; skimmer (undecided); construction materials (rocks, underlayment, etc.).....

Where SHOULD my money go? Where can I cut back / where should I NOT cut back?

Does $1000 sound reasonable or am I dreaming?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With a beginning and forever pump would have to be your decision .Until you are sure of what You want and the risks invovled you may want to go with a cheaper pump and if you decide to go with a more expensive pump later you can still use the cheap pump for other things like a fountain or spitters .You can get cheep pumps at northern tool or harbor freight and at least if you make a boo boo and burn it out by a leak or a mistake it is not a 300 or 400 dollar loss .I would put money into the liner and those you can get at e-bay or northern tool or pond depot with free shipping a lot of the time Bottom drains if not done right they can leak .I put in a bottom drain that is not cut into the liner and just is pvc pipe and an elbow or 2 that I can take out of the pond because it is above the liner .I guess if you are confident take on the underground drain .I'm just not that confident in my abilities .I like the above liner drain as I did not glue the the fittings and can turn the drain upside down and use it like a vacume with my shop vac and mostly thats what I use it for and I use a pool net in between to keep the bottom clean .I really don't use that bottom drain thing but once or twice a year .The only thing that I would not do again is put rocks on the bottom and is just seems to hard to maintain .Sorry i'm retired and I want to keep the work on the pond to a minimum as the house and the land and gardens take up my time .I love my pond but and the sounds it makes but cutting back on the time it takes to maintain is my goal . Also keeping it as cheap as I can keep it counts too .There is a good pond calculator on www.pond.com and I used that for some info .My whole pond with retaining wall block and fish and filters (rocks I got free you look you find ) less than 500 dollars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When you are new to ponding, the logic of starting with larger pond size, low fish density, take your time enjoying wide safety margins, a first pond can be a pleasant leisurely experience.

When you pile up high fish densities, pumps and stuff to squelch water about, you might lose sight of the pleasant experience of perty things going like clockwork

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where are some other places to find good prices? I've seen HARBOR FREIGHT & NORTHERN TOOL mentioned frequently on this forum. Do they always have good deals or you just catch sales?

What are some dependable names in pumps and some that I should stay away from? I realize that brands are mostly an issue of personal preference (with a lot depending on their intended use), but would still welcome some opinions as well as WHY you do or don't like a brand or type of pump.

For now, I'm not planning to go high-end on my pump. Pond will be around 300 gal, maybe a small waterfall (some way to have a litle extra water movement & aeration). DIY filter. Looking to go with a submersible (mag-drive?). Will have my dirty, poopy box turtles (but I love 'em! :) ) and a few fish.

Reaction score
I've bought maybe 50 pumps, I've never really checked brands. I've seen the same model break in a month and another of the same model go and go. The only ones I stayed away from were metal in pond pumps, they rusted. They all seem about the same to me. For a 300 gal pond I'd go for a mag drive too.

Ditto what Andy said, go slow. First pond everyone, myself included, says they want simple and then make it as complex as possible. Your 4th or 5th pond... that'll be simple. And at 300 gal it really isn't that big a deal to redo.

I went without a skimmer for a few years, I wouldn't go without one again. Just makes the water look so much cleaner.

For a new pond owner I'd recommend at least consider a UV filter. I see a lot of people get discouraged by green water and then try all kinds of crazy stuff to try and clear water, most which never work and some that are just hit and miss. Only you know how you're going to react, but if you think green water is going to really bum you out, get a UV. I would not a UV inside a filter.

If your turtle tanks where elevated a bit they could be your waterfalls. Little added cost.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started with a preformed and then went to the bigger pond and wanted the pond so I could enjoy it more than making it a chore .Chores are no fun ,working on the pond comes with some work but why make it hard at first .I do not pay over 40 dollars for a pump and still have my first pump that works great and it's 9 years old and was a harbor freight one i bought for 19 dollars on sale .At least you are not starting out huge and will give you a chance to learn about how the pond works .Some things work and some things don't and it mainly is trial and error .Thing is you don't know until you try it .I'm not sure about that type pump but you probably want to make sure it can move the type waste a turtle makes .Meaning you hope it won't clog up and burn the pump out .I looked at some turtle ponds on you tube and few tell what pumps worked for them and which did not .It may help you figure it out .I know in duck pond near my house he uses dirty water pumps ,and yuck they stink up the filters , but have to admit he seems to have it down to a science .His water does not stink like I have seen other farm ponds

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Personally, I like the Laguna line of pumps, or at least the Italian-made Max-flo and Powerjet lines. Laguna has recently introduced several Chinese-made pumps; Stay away from them, they have reliability problems. I use an older model in my basement goldfish tub, it's been running non-stop for about six years. When I first got into the hobby, I went through a large number of cheapy pumps, many of which didn't last for the summer. Pumps have improved since then, but I still believe you get what you pay for. John.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should always plan ahead also as if something happens to the pump you may have to ship it somewhere for repair or replacement and you never know with some pumps how long that will take .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sissy, you are SO RIGHT ABOUT CHORES!!! LOL :) I have almost made a science out of figuring out where my problems will be, and figuring out ways to make them go easier! Sometimes drives my hubby nuts, but I know ME! I have ADD, and one of the outcomes for me is that "if it ain't easy, it ain't gonna get done!" So I have to design ways to eliminate or consolidate steps, and mostly to arrange for easy & convenient access. For example, when I feed my turtles, it's "too much trouble" for me to remember to pick up their dishes, wash them, then put them away. Sooo, I attached a couple of open wire storage baskets to the outside of the wall closest to their feeding spot. Now I [after I dump the uneaten food in the compost] just put their dishes in there and hose them down. I know, sounds, lazy, but instead of a stack of dirty turtle dishes, I have them in easy reach and clean, ready to go for the next feeding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just wondering how much electricity the Harbor Freight pumps use? I have a Pondmaster mag drive and noticed that Laguna pumps use less power.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
harbor freight sells Pacific hydrostar pumps...not the most energy efficient, but cheap and easily replaced....with a real cheap "no questions asked store" warranty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the newer pumps they sell are more energy efficient than they used to be koiguy and even if you want an expensive pump you can use the cheaper pump as back up or for a fountain head to add air or spitters .I know my neighbor waited 2 months to get his savio pump back from being repaired.On that pond .com sight it gives you a guide for pumps using your electric rates and it tells you the cost to run it .I figured mine out on it and with my rates right now I would have to run it for 4 years just to use 400 dollars of energy and thats about the low end cost of some of the expensive pumps .I know of course rates will go up ,but at least if I burn this 1 out the 5 dollar warranty gives me a new one .mmathis I try to make every thing as simple and as easy as possible .less work more time to enjoy the fruits of my labor .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Might get one for a backup like sissy says. Prolly would tell ya on the box how many watts it uses.

Ask a Question