Please suggest plants for our pond

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Morning friends,

We truly need you more experienced folks to suggest non-invasive plants for our pond. Since we do not have fish the pond needs more umpth. Current plants include purple iris In a limited area, one pot of hybrid water lilies coming back to life after being nearly chocked out by ex-parrot feathers and a bucket of cut-back Japenese reeds. From spring to fall the pond is in total shade. Here's a link to our pond photo's: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10387-cypress-point-pond-desoto-texas/

Thanks in advance.
Big Lou

Reaction score
If by umpth you mean color I would consider Impatiens. If you mean structure I might consider Canna, might not flower much but the tall upright form can be impressive. Plus you could use a purple leaf Canna. Because the pond isn't too large I'd consider placing taller plants in soil behind the pond. These can still be pond plants, just plant them in buckets without drainage. Think of the whole area as a riparian habitat rather than just the actual water. The buckets also allow you to easily contain some plants like Cattail, and others. Or you can make little mini ponds with a little liner instead of buckets.

Ask a Question