Pond cover..is there such a thing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I moved into a house that had a 5 inch deep pond. It's probably an 8 ft pond. I want to cover it to keep out leaves and such. It has some mucky water in it so want to remove that but need something to keep it from refilling when it rains.

Thanks for any help!
Cheryl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Cheryl! Just to be clear, your pond is 8-feet by 5-inches deep. Is it 5-inches deep everywhere? Is the pond circular? What is the pond constructed from ie. a liner or concrete etc? So, you are asking about perhaps a netting to cover the pond to keep debris out? Does any of the debris flow into the pond from your yard or is it all blowing in? Sorry for all of the questions but it will assist us in helping you. Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Cheryl! Just to be clear, your pond is 8-feet by 5-inches deep. Is it 5-inches deep everywhere? Is the pond circular? What is the pond constructed from ie. a liner or concrete etc? So, you are asking about perhaps a netting to cover the pond to keep debris out? Does any of the debris flow into the pond from your yard or is it all blowing in? Sorry for all of the questions but it will assist us in helping you. Again, welcome!
Hi Stephen..thank you! I really need to keep the water out of it because even if I could keep the leaves out of it, it would not be fit for my goose to drink out of.
It's 8 or 9 feet in diameter (can't remember now) and 5 inches deep. My yard completely shaded and then those same trees drop tons of leaves, limbs and heavy walnuts and pecans. It's a full time job. So actually I need something to keep the water out besides placing a tarp over it.

Cheryl

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
WELCOM1227788.gif
@hayley3
Can you just fill the pond w/sand or gravel? Or put dirt in it and make a bog plant garden? Other than that,maybe just put wooden flat boards over it spaced a certain amount apart and cover it w/ decorative Lattice so goose can get in. You could put netting sandwiched between the boards and lattice to keep the debris out. Water would still get in tho but I don't think it would matter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 160588 @hayley3
Can you just fill the pond w/sand or gravel? Or put dirt in it and make a bog plant garden? Other than that,maybe just put wooden flat boards over it spaced a certain amount apart and cover it w/ decorative Lattice so goose can get in. You could put netting sandwiched between the boards and lattice to keep the debris out. Water would still get in tho but I don't think it would matter.
Those are some clever ideas but I can barely lift a 50lb bag of sand, and what would happen when the pond is filled with water? .I thought about dirt and planting grass but I really don't think that would work when it fills with water? I did have a fence panel over it, but the wood has disintegrated and somehow there is loads of stuff that was able to sneak in the water. It's a horrible mess now that I'm trying to clean up. I was thinking pool cover initially something with elastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is it just rain water or is water flowing in from the surrounding area? If rainwater, you could use a large patio umbrella or a patio furniture cover. They’re not cheap though, at that size, and tend to blow around. In the long run you would probably be better off removing the liner or busting up the bottom and filling it in. If water isn’t flowing into it then I would just fill it in and plant bog/marsh plants. A photo or two would help us brainstorm with you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it just rain water or is water flowing in from the surrounding area? If rainwater, you could use a large patio umbrella or a patio furniture cover. They’re not cheap though, at that size, and tend to blow around. In the long run you would probably be better off removing the liner or busting up the bottom and filling it in. If water isn’t flowing into it then I would just fill it in and plant bog/marsh plants. A photo or two would help us brainstorm with you.
It's just rain water...I'll take a picture tomorrow, thanks! It's concrete, no liner.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Not to sound rude…..but are you sure it’s a pond? Five inches deep? Where is it located in your yard? Yes, please post some pictures for context.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wait, I just noticed that you said you want to keep it from refilling when it rains……but isn’t that the nature of a pond? You want the water to be refreshed at some point. If it’s mainly a water source for your goose…..but it’s too shallow for him to swim in….I agree that filling it in would be a good option. Fill it in and provide a different water source for the goose. Either that, or have it rebuilt to be larger and deeper and add a good filtration system. Cover it to keep the debris out.

There are usually options for labor if lifting and toting are a problem for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I raked the sludge, sticks, walnuts, and limbs out of it..so that's why it's black on the edges. I just thought there might be a pond cover I was not aware of but I have searched and found nothing. The pond has a small lip so it was just a thought. I am guessing I will just need to use a tarp and hope for the best. At the moment I'm still pondering how to empty it out. I've thought maybe I should use leaf skimmer to get out the walnuts and pecans and a shop vac after that. I don't need a pond to take care of, I'm busy taking care of the dropping huge walnuts, limbs and pecans, and also will be moving next year. Thanks!

Attachments

• Pond with debris.JPG
    Pond with debris.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 21

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t blame you. If the pond serves no function, then why keep it. Find some strong boys/men with sledge hammers and let them go to town on it (or do it yourself — there is something satisfying about sledging up concrete — wear safety glasses!). They can cart off the pieces of concrete……or bury them. Haul in some topsoil (fill the hole), and let the yard claim it. If you will be moving, this might not be a good selling point for potential new owners.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t blame you. If the pond serves no function, then why keep it. Find some strong boys/men with sledge hammers and let them go to town on it (or do it yourself — there is something satisfying about sledging up concrete — wear safety glasses!). They can cart off the pieces of concrete……or bury them. Haul in some topsoil (fill the hole), and let the yard claim it. If you will be moving, this might not be a good selling point for potential new owners.
Never thought about busting up the concrete. Thanks for the idea!

Ask a Question