Pond plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's driving me crazy waiting for my marginals and lilies to grow, especially when this string algae it going wild... Now with perennials, you have things that grow early spring to late fall, are there pond plants that grow early spring to late fall?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All of my pond plants grow from spring to frozen time. Lilies, penny wart, creeping jenny, creeping primrose, water mint etc .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's driving me crazy waiting for my marginals and lilies to grow

Me too. All I have growing right now is one cattail and some iris thing.
I have some ground plants growing too, but I cant wait to see the rest of my pond plants start to do something. We just need some consistently warm weather first.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just picked up some water lettuce and water hyacinth they grow from about now till the first frost kills them off. You can also plant elephant ears in the shallow part of your pond, just make sure the top part of the bulb is out of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We are still having lows of mid 30's, so I'm assuming that is slowing them down. I haven't had my pond for a full year yet, so I'm experiencing my first spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, most pond plants are perennials, except those tender tropicals that tend to be bumped off in a hard freeze.

Not many perennials have an all year bloom season, you may have flurries for a week or two, or a month

Hardy waterlilies have a longer season than most blooming

You can be cunning and plant for successional blooms, so when they do peak you have something perking through the year

Often a snag is folk dash round in Spring and pick what they think looks best at that time then discover there's nothing much perky to look at mid and late Summer, Autumn, Winter...

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/albums/adavisus.438/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have the same problem here every year... The water temp starts to warm up, and the string algae takes off like crazy, then it takes nearly a month before the temperatures stabilize enough that the water plants really start sucking up the nutrients. Sure my moneywort and some other plants are starting to grow, but there's just not enough yet to effectively clean the water.

I wonder how something like tulips would do in the water? That's a very early starting plant, so I wonder if they would be suitable for cleaning the water at the beginning of Spring?

Ask a Question