j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So is this barrel or stock tank thingy a place w/ plants in it or something like a bio-filter? Is there somewhere on this site that tell exactly how this is done w/o too much trouble putting together? So the pressure filter gets buried down in the ground and does the other afterward filter get put into the ground also?

Reaction score
Yea the stock tank filter will be full of plants in the top. The bacteria will break down things then the plants in the top will absorb the nutrients and grow like crazy. From what I understand at least. The pressure filter will be buried and it is back flushable so great for my garden. The other stock tank filter will not be buried just kind of hidden behind a wall in my case. And will have a waterfall back in to the pond. The water will flow from the pump to the pressure filter and from it to the stock tank filter and then back over the weir into the pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jason081180...you have got the right idea there, as long as your pump fills the requirements of the filter. and go with the u.v option, a 9 watter you wouldnt even notice on your electric bill, even the 18 watt would be minimal. i would consider the next size up filter tho..less backwashing,

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok but couldn't one put a rubbermaid stock tank in the ground so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in my case cuz I have no where to hide it. And if it has plants floating on top it would just look like another little pond. See my pond sits right out in front of our house at the front porch deck. I could plant some stuff around the edge of it to make it look more natural and fit in better if it was in the ground.........see where I'm going with this?

Reaction score
Yea I’m not concerned with the electric bill as it relates to the UV but more the initial cost. And is it really necessary when I have this filter set up. Will the filter and plants do a good enough job? U said you have never had to clean your stock tank filter. With my plan for the pressure filter as being the main mechanical filter and the back flush ability do I even need to add a bottom flush drain to the stock tank? How much do you think the stock tank filter cost you to build?

Reaction score
getting the pressure filter with out the UV would cost $120 less and then I could upgrade to a bigger pressure filter and still save $100.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
jason... .when i close down the pond i take the media inside and put it in my basement pond filter.and rinse out and drain the filter tank, and put lid on the filter to keep snow ice and crap out. but with the pressure filter in front of it there wont be much in the filter as far as debris go so when you close down the pond for the winter. you'll still want to hose out the skippy filter and drain it. then cover it. and store the media till spring. or atleast i would. but yeah, i have never cleaned the filters media yet.................... you could always start without the u.v and add one later if needed...you can get the 9 watter seperate one for under $70.00

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks I checked it out and yours looks really nice all set up with the falls and all but I can't set mine up like that so I may just have to think of another way to do it. Can't the filter set at one end of the pond and the stock tank just sit near the filter in the ground and have the water from the filter go into the stock tank and then back into the pond at the same end of the pond that the filter is at through just a hose? See I already have a waterfall set up on the other end of the pond and I'm not taking that whole thing apart for nothing :yikesu:.

Reaction score
I don’t know y that wouldn’t work but you want to make sure that the pump that feeds the stock tank filter is at the other end of the pond. You want to take the dirty water out of one end and put it back in the other. It kind of makes a current and the whole pond gets filtered. You don’t want any dead spots. But I am by no means an expert. I don’t even have a pond yet just planning mine so far and have learned a ton from this site.

Reaction score
you could bury a stock tank, yes, but what a holy pain that will be to empty since you couldn't have a drain at the bottom. You'd be forced to shove a sump in it to empty it. PITA!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep that would be pretty cruddy to have to do. Hmmmmmmmmmm, guess I will just have to settle for the pressure filter w/o the tank. :rolleyes:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
with a pressure filter before it there would be minimal waste in the stocktank put your media in mesh bags lift it out drop in a small pump to drain the tank, spray it down with the hose if needed and pump it out again..whats so bad about that? youd only do it once a year in the fall when you close down the pond. i dont get what the big deal would be. the whole cleanout would take 15 minutes.

Reaction score
thats what i like so much about it very little work to keep it going. a good clean out in the fall and set up in the spring. I'm just not sure how i can work it in to my pond but i really want to.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well I guess that doesn't sound so hard and if it's only once a year that's not so bad. I could give it a go and see how it works. I'm sure it would be fine especially since I have such a low load of fish on it also.

Ask a Question