Ponds in Canada

Reaction score
Thanks Colleen ... I know there are tons of them for dry land too ... here's some pics, non blooming ... any guesses on when the buds will open?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
May open within two days, maybe even tomorrow! Looks like it will be purple. My guess already is it is some Louisiana iris, I will know more when it is open.... it is small and appears to hold the flower high above the leaves, not a yellow flag that is for sure! We used to get Louisiana irises here in town at this greenhouse were I worked about 12 years ago, and I remember the Louisiana irises were much smaller than the hardy yellow flag. But people would buy them and try to winter them inside, many people like the Louisiana irises because they come in so many colors....

Reaction score
I noticed the buds nearly a week ago, but I didnt take pictures, so dont know how different they looked then ... Maybe if CE sees this, she can tell me which variety it is LOL. I am hoping soon to have our first lily flower too ... have one bud about an inch below the surface ... ironically, it happens to be one of the ones CE sent ... cant wait for it to open, as i didnt marked what color is where ...

The first flower on the lemon grass opened today:)

And the water cress as well ... I didnt know that flowered .. didnt last year, maybe shock from being harvested and sent to the grocery store for salad mix LOL

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow that lemon grass and water cress really turned out nice! I may have to look for that lemon grass and see if it is hardy to this area.

The Fairies are Coming! Soon fairies will gather here by the front yard pond. They are traveling from a far away land down south, and they will be tired from the long travel, so I have been arranging a place for them to rest in my garden of flowers! :)

Attachments

• IMAG8511.jpg
    IMAG8511.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG8523.jpg
    IMAG8523.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 219
  • IMAG8512.jpg
    IMAG8512.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG8507.jpg
    IMAG8507.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG8500.jpg
    IMAG8500.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
Wow that lemon grass
It has grown a fair amount since last year. This picture shows the same size it was last year, but now, last yrs plant has become two:) The other "half" planted into another crevice has a lot more buds, just not blooming yet.

callingcolleen1 said:
and water cress really turned out nice!
I am still amazed that I was able to start that plant from a bunch of cut greens out of the produce section. The fish have done a job on the lower portion this spring, and ripped chunks off, which became naked sticks floating around the pond. I collected 3 stems, and they are growing:) I want to get more growing on the other side of the waterfall ...

This, and 8-10 more just like it, was what my water cress plant looked like last June.

callingcolleen1 said:
The Fairies are Coming! Soon fairies will gather here by the front yard pond. They are traveling from a far away land down south, and they will be tired from the long travel, so I have been arranging a place for them to rest in my garden of flowers! :)
LOVE it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love how you used the stump colleen ,there is one near my house and guy hollowed the stump out and planted flowers in it .Great way to get rid of an eyesore and doesn't cost anything

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
This is why I fell in love with ponds, they are just too beautiful! Hours can go by and I am just relaxing, gazing deep into the pond, the outside world becomes a blur, the world around me could be crashing and burning, but I am trapped, in the hypnotic pools of relecting beauty that surrounds me.....

Attachments

• IMAG8739.jpg
    IMAG8739.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG8737.jpg
    IMAG8737.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMAG8730.jpg
    IMAG8730.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG8728.jpg
    IMAG8728.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG8726.jpg
    IMAG8726.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG8713.jpg
    IMAG8713.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG8716.jpg
    IMAG8716.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG8698.jpg
    IMAG8698.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG8691.jpg
    IMAG8691.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG8699.jpg
    IMAG8699.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
This is why I fell in love with ponds, they are just too beautiful! Hours can go by and I am just relaxing, gazing deep into the pond, the outside world becomes a blur, the world around me could be crashing and burning, but I am trapped, in the hypnotic pools of relecting beauty that surrounds me.....
Sitting and just gazing pond side is a lot like sitting by a camp fire. Very hypnotic and very difficult to pull oneself away...

Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
You must have a sharp fast camera, to get those nice pictures! How do you seek on those birds and get the pictures without scaring them off? :)
I bought a Nikon camera last year to replace my 10 year old Nikon. The newer cameras have a better sensor which allows faster shooting and shooting in darker places. I also treated myself with a new lens. I could not afford the Nikon lens I wanted (and never would be able too) so I bought a Sigma. I must say I have been impressed with it. The only peeve I have with it is the auto focus. It wanders off target easier than any of my Nikon lenses.

A lot of the birds that visit us are repeat customers. The Baltimore Oriels just arrived a week ago. We did not have the liquid feeder set up, but he was there out front in the tree making a racket. We cooked up some food for him and he was in it right away. Some of the female Red Wing Blackbirds seem to know us really well too. We can be sitting by the pond and they will land just a few feet away and walk into the river for their bath.

Reaction score
Colleen, WHAT kind is it? Bad picture, but one of the blooms opened:) The color is way off. The bloom is a PURPLE, not blue as it looks in the picture. It's the color purple you would think of when someone says PURPLE ... no hint of blue, and not leaning towards black. The little "design" on the petals are white. The greens are 10-15" in height, and the flower stalk is about a foot taller than the greens ... It is still young, but I think it is one of the shorter varieties. The greens are spreading, but so far, not getting any taller. I want a bunch of these:)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Is there any yellow or is it just purple and white? If it is just purple and white then it could be Iris Lavigata, if you see any yellow it could be Iris Virginica, there is so many different purple irises it is hard to tell, and take another few pictures tomorrow as I to see how it looks from different angles of the flower. It is a pretty purple iris, I always wanted a purple water iris but the one I got many years ago just got consumed by the yellow and I never saw the purple iris again,,,,

I was up in the roof just a short while ago cleaning out the gutters, but now it is thundering and raining lightly right now, should have gotten a few pictures while I was up there, but I was in a rush as storm was coming and hubby home from work tonight so I must feed the poor tired hubby. :)

Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
Is there any yellow or is it just purple and white? If it is just purple and white then it could be Iris Lavigata,
Absolutely no yellow ... I tried to crop the original picture to show you the pattern of the white better. Will try to take another pic in the morning... while at the pond clients house today, I realized that she has an iris, planted on land, that looks identical ... didnt check the roots ... took home a white the same size (small iris) and compared the roots, and they look the same ... trying the white out in our bog to see if it lives ... going to grab one of her purples tomorrow to compare to ours as well ... so this may be the type that can grow on land as well as in water if that helps narrow the variety??? The white one is the same size, dwarf I mean, and the petals are the same shape too ... will get pics of that tomorrow too ...

callingcolleen1 said:
if you see any yellow it could be Iris Virginica, there is so many different purple irises it is hard to tell, and take another few pictures tomorrow as I to see how it looks from different angles of the flower. It is a pretty purple iris, I always wanted a purple water iris but the one I got many years ago just got consumed by the yellow and I never saw the purple iris again,,,,
If the clients purple is the same as ours, and can be in the water, I'd be happy to send you a bit of it. It isnt that bad to ship into Canada. I plan on stealing (with her permission LMAO) some of her iris' for our pond .. hubby was saying he felt like he was stealing the little clump of white (she has TONS of them) but she knew AND I reminded him we are giving her a bunch of starts from our plants (plants are not included but this is a long time client who we REALLY like and is getting a lot more than she is paying for)...

callingcolleen1 said:
I was up in the roof just a short while ago cleaning out the gutters, but now it is thundering and raining lightly right now, should have gotten a few pictures while I was up there, but I was in a rush as storm was coming and hubby home from work tonight so I must feed the poor tired hubby. :)
Supposed to be nasty here tomorrow ... my poor tired hubby got Chinese tonight LOL.

Ask a Question