Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks garden girl! It sure was a bad flood, close to the last big record flood of 1995. Most of the houses here backed up sewer in their basement, the smell is so darn bad you have to hold your nose if you go inside to look. The neighbor came home and showed me the sewer in his basement. It was awful!! Just horrible!! We never got any sewer backup at all because we plugged all the basement drains very very good. We told all the neighbors that there houses all had sewer backup in 1995 so to plug their drains. Most of these people never plugged their drains cause they were not here in 1995. Now we have a severe thunderstorm watch, very very black cloud overhead now. The warning says heavy rain, not a good time for heavy rain... the storm sewers are not draining, I am on the flats. The water will run off the hills and make a very big puddle on my street! We can get lots of rain rushing down the nearby hill and create small floods during heavy downpours at the best of times..., but this time it won't hardly drain at all!!

Thunder and lighting some rain is starting to fall...

Pictures of the river today, went walking over the bridge after it reopened today. The water was rushing under so fast and it was so high it made me sea sick to look down!

Massive crack of thunder right now!! Very heavy rain... help!!!

Attachments

• IMAG9964-1.jpg
    IMAG9964-1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG9972-1.jpg
    IMAG9972-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG9961.jpg
    IMAG9961.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG9977.jpg
    IMAG9977.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG9981.jpg
    IMAG9981.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG9979.jpg
    IMAG9979.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG9975.jpg
    IMAG9975.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG9967.jpg
    IMAG9967.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAG9977.jpg
    IMAG9977.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMAG9965.jpg
    IMAG9965.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG9942.jpg
    IMAG9942.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG9955-1.jpg
    IMAG9955-1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 141

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Glad you, the home and fishes made it past the worst.

When you have calmed down and de-stressed and got things back in order, can you offer up some good perennial and shrubs types that might work up here please. So many to choose from.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Oh, more bad news... the fish that I had moved up to my sisters pond, the one for sure is gone, she said a big blue heron come and now she can't find it!!! Can you believe my luck right now!!! I moved some of them up to the hill where she lives, to protect them!!! it is not her fault, will get my fish tomorrow!!

On a positive note, everybody in the flood plain will get a debit card for $1250.00

Here is a picture of my older sister, and her pond today. We cannot find the big orange goldfish that was really fat, she was very friendly and did not swim to fast, one of those with a big belly and big long tail... on a positive note, my sister is getting better at tending to her weeds. You can see the small yellow flag I gave her, it is floating with no soil like mine, and is really growing fast!

Attachments

• IMAG9996-1.jpg
    IMAG9996-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG9994.jpg
    IMAG9994.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 160

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
AHHHHH, that's a bummer Colleen about your one big fish. Hope they are protected w/ something covering them now till you can get them home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So sorry about fish. have had my pond cleaned out before. Only one left a black and spotted shabunkin hidden in muck at bottom when I drained it. I learned about netting real quick!! Gave fish to my brother-n-law because I knew she was a big breeder! He has 2 ponds full! lol
Shame about your neighbors house. I guess that gives time to freshen up their yard with some flowers. ha

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lots of people all around me got sewer back up, we stayed to make sure that would not happen, and protect our home and ponds. Were are exhausted, the stress of the flood, and the threat of sever backup and hiding in our home when we were supposed to be kicked out and evacuated was just not right. We should have the choice to stay and defend and protect our home from flood or looting without stressing out about the police kicking us out of our own home. Many people refused to leave, and hid out in their own home. Because we stayed, we are one of the few people who don't have sewer back up in this area.

The city will provide big garbage bins for those with flood damage. We have lots of junk that we are going thow out so it is good that these oversized garbage bins are coming and will be placed in front of our street. Some good will come out of all this, we will sort out the junk that has been cluddering the basement for 23 years.

Last night me and the hubby sat outside by the pond, in my bug free zone, and enjoyed a few drinks by the fire. We needed that, stress level is much much better, hubby and I are working together right now, cleaning the basement, and it feels good to work by his side....

The city sewers were overloaded due to the flooding, but today it was safe to remove the sewer plugs as the risk of sewer backup should be gone. We now can have running water and flush the toilet. We had an emergency portable potty set up in my outside in my greenhouse.

Got to get back to work... thanks to listening to my crazy flood drama.... :)

Reaction score
got in on this late but glad to hear you're well and coping..(somewhat) hopefully the rains will subside lone enough to allow you all to dry out... weird thing, so many people wish for the hot weather and i'm one that is like nooooo... it brings conditions like this or tornadoes or hurricanes etc... i prefer warm not hot... again glad to hear your safe

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy you made it through and they did not find and kick you out. Now you get some good out of it, getting rid of lots of 23yr old junk w/ your hubby by your side :claphands:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Unbelievable!!! Hubby cleaned the garage too!! Never in 24 years have I seen that old garage so clean!! I put this new shelf together in the basement, that I bought like 6 years ago, never had room to put it up before! I am getting more new heavy duty shelf and helping hubby organize HIS basement... he always used to say the basement was his domain, that he would sort and clean it.... course it never really happened till now. Guess it takes a big flood to get hubby going! Actually, since his big operation last fall, he has been much more active, and I am happy to see him working hard in basement.

Ask a Question