Preparing early

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know its not going to be cold for quite awhile but thought I would do some early planning. My question is do I bring them in and cut them down and leave in the basement. My water lilies will be repotted and placed down in the pond, the Iris's, I have usually cut back and left in the pond (they have done okay so far). My black taro comes in and cut it back. I have a couple of new ones this year. 2 are cannas and also a sweet flag. Can these all be cut back brought in and left in the basement. The basement is finished so it not cold. In the past when I brought plants in I kept them in water near a window. I hope I don't have to do this, if possible. I am in Kingston Ontario on Lake Ontario.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sweet flag should be ok. Canna does not like winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lillie's yes just keep the roots from freezing they can stay in the pond.

iris and sweet flag can freeze solid, at least the yellow, blue and gamecock do fine here in 6b

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sweet flag should be ok. Canna does not like winter.
If you look online you will find much advice about digging up your canna bulbs and storing for the winter. Personally I have not been very successful at overwintering bulbs but they are such a beautiful plant it is worth a try.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've had the same experience with cannas - they can be saved over winter, but honestly for what they cost me to buy new every year it's not worth the hassle for me. I just treat them like an annual.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've not had good luck lately overwintering canna and taro. I have a nursery local that has amazing prices on both so only going to try to bring in my striped tropical cannas I ordered online. Maybe the red Musa banana but got it local for $8!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Forgot to post pics!

Attachments

• 20230826_125458.jpg
    20230826_125458.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230826_125513.jpg
    20230826_125513.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forgot to post pics!
I can't get the pictures to open, but if your bananas are in pots they are **super** easy to overwinter. Just cut them down to a couple of inches high & stick the entire pot in a cool room (but above freezing) such as a basement. Water only enough to keep them from completely drying out. If they have some natural light they might start to sprout up again from the old stalks. I used to try & keep them in our sunroom, active & growing throughout the winter. It worked fine, but they are **so** prone to spider mites (and too large to regularly toss in the shower to rinse off) I just do the cool/dormant thing now. IME - easy & reliable.

PS - Potted cannas can be treated the exact same way. Much higher success rate of overwintering than any other storage method I've used/tried. Then dump & divide in the Spring for replanting.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Both canvas and banana are in 20" pots so will try bring them in. Ha e not had real good luck with putting bare roots in paper. My elephant ears will be replaced next spring but will NOT go in the bog.

Ask a Question