Pump shutting down unexpectedly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an Easy Pro 250 pump in a Savio skimmer filter box. Occasionally the water in the pump chamber will drop down to nothing. Meanwhile the water in the filter basket section in front of the pump is right up to pond level. I can figure out why the water in the pump chamber of the Skimmer filter does this while the water stays high in the basket. Does anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it? The red arrow is pointing to the pump chamber. TIA

pump internal for question.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am unfamiliar with that set-up but my gut says it is something blocking the intake like a dirty filter or prefilter. I just read your heading again and it says the pump is shutting down. Does it completely shut off like a power interruption or is it just significant flow reduction?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a savio skimmer and when this happens ( water low on one side ) , the filter pad is clogged and needs cleaning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am unfamiliar with that set-up but my gut says it is something blocking the intake like a dirty filter or prefilter. I just read your heading again and it says the pump is shutting down. Does it completely shut off like a power interruption or is it just significant flow reduction?
It will gurgle and burp for a while, then shut down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a savio skimmer and when this happens ( water low on one side ) , the filter pad is clogged and needs cleaning.
Thanks. I'll check that out. I've been using the Matala filter the past 2 seasons. Do you use the Savio media and like it or something else?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have the same skimmer. Pull your basket and put your hand all the way near the bottom. You will feel open areas in the skimmer housing near the bottom on the sides not the actual bottom. This is where the water enters below the basket. Clean it out, you will be amazed how much build up is in there. I was having the same issue. I would clean my filter pad put right back in and would see the water level drop fast with a clean pad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes ! Good @RobAmy mentioned the basket too ! I always clean them both at the same time, it's my routine. I also have a fine mesh aquarium net I use to occasionally scoop out gunk from the bottom of the skimmer while the basket and filter pad is out......amazing what accumulates !

I like the Savio filter pads, but have been using Matala for the last couple years as I had some on hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, guys. I'll check out below the basket and also clean the Matala filter. I did it mid-last summer but I'll give it a cleaning just to make sure.

Guess I'll poke down there first with a stick. I've had a Copperhead hanging around... :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks, guys. I'll check out below the basket and also clean the Matala filter. I did it mid-last summer but I'll give it a cleaning just to make sure.

Guess I'll poke down there first with a stick. I've had a Copperhead hanging around... :oops:
Last summer we had a big snake in the skimmer.....I now check too !

Ask a Question