QUESTIONS ABOUT A FEW PLANTS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't started planning or purchasing any aquatics yet, but wondering about a few other plants. I try to research my plants for ones that are considered turtle-safe (non-toxic). These are all plants that I have around already.

I've read that Hostas are good around ponds, but all the Hostas I've seen say they're for mostly shade. Most of my shady or "partial" spots are places that get the bulk of their sun in the afternoon. Had some pretty toasted plants by the end of last summer.

Does anyone know about Spider Wort? I saw some beautiful purple ones growing on a friend's property and they let me dig up all I wanted [I'm a fool for anything purple or that pretty periwinkle color!!]. Was going to plant some in the turtle habitat, but wonder how they'd do in or around the water.

Daylillies. Have bunches of those. Can they go IN the water?

Same for Cannas?

Mint? (Except for being invasive)

Dwarf Mondo grass -- not sure if that's the name, but it's the very short-leafed kind that makes a good turtle-ground cover and isn't invasive.

Same for something called Aguba(??). In the past I've used the Mondo & Aguba as a ground cover on the areas leading up to the turtle water bowls. Both grow pretty thick, but most of all acted like a carpet between the habitat substrate (dirt) and the water, keeping the water cleaner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are now and have been sun tolerant hostas .I have them here in VA and no shade where they grow or hardly any shade in some areas .I had over 200 hundred hostas at my house in NJ and brought some of the more sun loving ones here .I now have about 30 after deviding them up last week .Just like elephant ears they are easy to break apart to get more plants .i have the yellow green leafed ones .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hostas supposedly will do good in bog filters but most do need some shade as they will burn in direct sunlight. But there are new variaties that are being developed that are more and more sun tolerant. Day lilies I don't think will do very good in water, they prefer drier soil. Spider wort, I don't know anything about. Canna's, some love water, some like dry. there are even some species now that have been cultivated strictly for water plants. Mint, again not sure but I have seen it used close to ponds for side cover. Ajuga is great near the pond, it doesn't like to be planted in the water BUT it will send runners out right along the edge and it looks really good when blooming. NOTE: be sure and check local nursuries for variations, there are some really neat new colors started to show up. I love the purple with the white and pink tips on the leaves and the new yellow cream and green. Mondo grass is another great border plant and worth trying in a bog. Some pet stores actually sell it as an aquatic plant but it isn't. They can't grow where they are completely submerged. be sure and look for Water parsely, taro's ( elephant ears that like moist ditches) and La. Iris's. there are many colors that grow wild and I have found 6 different colors just in our area that I was able to get starts of for free. the brown flower one is usually found more north toward your area and it doesn't over take areas as bad as the yellow variaty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had day lilies and tried them in the pond but think they could not take the salt not sure

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out florida hill nursery on line I got some great plants from them at 5.95 and free shipping on 3 more plants shipping on first plant was 6.95 I think .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! Will have to do more research into Hostas (instead of buying them at Wally-World ;) ). They can be great turtle hides when they bush out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mint, I have it in my bog, ground and floating in the water.
spiderwort, have it in the ground and in the bog, (really wet) does beautiful, they like wet dirt too to bloom the nicest.
hostas, do fine in a bog, have a small one in the bog and a bunch in the ground
daylilies, have them in the bog, crowns under the water,they are doing fine, the same type are in the ground also growing well
mondo grass, have that in the bog doing fine

Hope that helps

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Impatients do really well in the pond. Just make sure that they are rinsed really well and planted in a basket. We put ours last year right next to the skimmer box in the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMPULSE BUY :D. Was at LOWES yesterday and they had some packaged lillies. I had to get a couple, just so I'd have something to look forward to. No idea what they are (names are on the pkg., but haven't researched them yet), but I HAVE PLANTS!! LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TM I had James Brydon (it is a good hardy one and grows lots of blooms) listed in the classifieds here for free w/ peeps just pay for postage. You could'a had a sml box (4 or 5 or however many I could squeeze in there) or a med. box that held a bunch for $11.35! Darn now you already went out and bought em and last I looked in the store (Lowes) they were like $8. each or more! Next time somebody divides up their lilies keep an eye out here for freebee's!

Ask a Question