Rain collapsed my wall

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my new pond and we got a ton of rain last week. A portion of my wall collapsed and I don't know how to repair the cave in. My plan is to install a liner only and build the copeing on top of the liner. Is there an easy fix? The walls are about 4' tall and most of it is on about a 20 deg. slope. Colorado clay soil.

Attachments

• IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 668
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my new pond and we got a ton of rain last week. A portion of my wall collapsed and I don't know how to repair the cave in. My plan is to install a liner only and build the copeing on top of the liner. Is there an easy fix? The walls are about 4' tall and most of it is on about a 20 deg. slope. Colorado clay soil.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, this may not be the correct way, but it has worked for me, you could dampen the dirt stuff it back in the holes, get your liner in. Make sure the upper edge is sloped away from the pond so the water won't flow down behind the liner.

Or you could re-sculpt the walls, smooth them out. We had a small collapse on one of the small ponds, and smoothing it out worked.
we have clay also, crumbles when dry, like glue when wet, rock hard at times.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, this may not be the correct way, but it has worked for me, you could dampen the dirt stuff it back in the holes, get your liner in. Make sure the upper edge is sloped away from the pond so the water won't flow down behind the liner.

Or you could re-sculpt the walls, smooth them out. We had a small collapse on one of the small ponds, and smoothing it out worked.
we have clay also, crumbles when dry, like glue when wet, rock hard at times.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Odin
Can you make a thick paste out ot the crumbled material and use a piece of plywood backed up with a board to hold it while drying? Put some plastic on the wood so it doesn't stick to it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Odin
Can you make a thick paste out ot the crumbled material and use a piece of plywood backed up with a board to hold it while drying? Put some plastic on the wood so it doesn't stick to it.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you haven't bought the liner yet
Can you make the pond a little bigger

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:

Laughing, I was thinking that too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrCase said:

Laughing, I was thinking that too.

Reaction score
If I repair the cave in and make sure the run off from my lawn is diverted. Will my pond walls be safe from failure once the pond is up and running. I've seen pix of a pond that walls have failed after it's been running for several months and I don't want that to happen to me. I was considering installing a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and filling in dirt behind it and place the liner over the plywood. I think the pressure from the water at the bottom will hold the plywood in place and prevent any more cave ins. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
If I repair the cave in and make sure the run off from my lawn is diverted. Will my pond walls be safe from failure once the pond is up and running. I've seen pix of a pond that walls have failed after it's been running for several months and I don't want that to happen to me. I was considering installing a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" pressure treated plywood and filling in dirt behind it and place the liner over the plywood. I think the pressure from the water at the bottom will hold the plywood in place and prevent any more cave ins. Any thoughts?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main thing that will help is diverting the water from the lawn. I would like drcase says, dig it bigger, make sure your water is diverted, or like drdave says pack the cave in. Make sure the water is diverted, get the liner in and fill with water.

My three other ponds all had vertical walls, around 4-5 feet deep, never had a cave in once they were filled, but I also so made sure the water run off was well diverted.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main thing that will help is diverting the water from the lawn. I would like drcase says, dig it bigger, make sure your water is diverted, or like drdave says pack the cave in. Make sure the water is diverted, get the liner in and fill with water.

My three other ponds all had vertical walls, around 4-5 feet deep, never had a cave in once they were filled, but I also so made sure the water run off was well diverted.

Reaction score
I haven't bought the liner yet but to get my slope back I would have to make it much bigger. I also thought of building it out with sand bags and leave a hump at the bottom of the pond. Any thoughts?

Ask a Question