addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope we get winter this year, the apples do better with some cold, so do a lot of the plants. I enjoy the cold and the slowing down of all the yard care.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats the main reason I did not want to go to much farther south to much yard work all year round and then summers are steamy hot .Give me a change of seasons anytime .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd like to have a bunch of snow this winter but don't like when temps get into the minus ranges........rather the coldest would be at around 30F or so mixed in w/ a bunch of nice 50 - 60F's and less rain,more sunshine.........boy am I dreaming :wave:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep leave mine out .It never really gets that cold here and when it does that is not until January or Febuary and last for a week sometimes .Most times we get around 20 degrees .But don't care for that temp .We get snow but that usually only last for a day or two .I live 15 minutes from the North Carolina border so get there weather more than VA weather .Most race car fans know this area because of the Martinsville Speedway .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine stay out too and we might just get a bit of ice now and then but usually only a day or so at a time then it melts and we go back to rain. I just leave a couple bubbling up water tubes and a small aquarium air pump to keep holes in the ice and keep a bit of movement going. Also I leave the waterfall running. Started doing that last year and will see how it goes this year. Some say the movement of the falls might make it too cold in there for the fish but they seem to not mind and all survived last winter so hope it will be ok this year too. I don't have a filter, just do water changes once in awhile and free rain fills. Skim the bottom now and then from debris and so far so good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine stay outside too.............man I would hate trying to catch them. If I had to haul them inside there would be no pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, taking everything apart is hard on the fish, plants, and kills lots of the natural eco system, like snails, leeches, water striders, dragonfly larva, and good bacteria, you start all over again each spring, trying to get it all balanced all over again! Ug! It took me years to get all the little "pond critters" going just right!! :D. Not ripping apart the whole pond ever unless I have to change the liner!!!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Journey across the Antarctic! Tempertures of minus 70 to minus 80 c average!!!! Cold enough to damage Lung Tissue!! The Coldest Journey begins! Some guy from Peace River Alberta is going to be part of a team that crosses the dark cold Antarctic! Going to follow the story, just heard about it on the CBC News! Now are THEY going to be PREPARED! they have to be, cause they said no one can go in there to SAVE them if something goes wrong!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like fun......................NOT!!! I would have to have my wood stove stuffed full and glowing red hot to watch that show or it will give me the shivers :cold:
Wonder if we can watch it here in the U.S?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Probally, just goggle it, something should show, I will goggle later cause I want to follow it....they have to wear special breathing masks cause it's too darn cold to breath! They have been talking all morning on the cbc news about. Lord forbid something go wrong, cause no one can rescue them! Too dangerous! Who do they call? They spent months just preparing to go! What is minis 80 Celsius in Fahrenheit? Going to look that up too!

Attachments

• sspx0888.jpg
    sspx0888.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 255
  • sspx0854.jpg
    sspx0854.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 233

Ask a Question