Sick Koi

Reaction score
Hi. I have a pond with two koi fish and two goldfish. One of my koi is looking very sick. He's very lethargic, laying on his side in the corner of the pond. When he does swim, it's usually lopsided and spastic. He also seems to have trouble closing his mouth. He doesn't have any markings on him. I isolated him and moved him to an indoor tank temporarily. I'm thinking it could have been a downed branch in the pond during Irene that hit him. All the water levels are fine and no other fish seem sick. I've attached a youtube video of his behavior. Please help.

Edit: Yes, I know this in the wrong forum.

Attachments

• photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 261
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 246
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Hello. I'm so sorry that your beautiful Koi isn't feeling well. I have been looking through the forum to see who is online right now to help you. I've been reading some of the chat on the Illness and Disease part of this forum and you may be able to find some help there while you wait for someone with more knowledge than me to answer your post. Hopefully someone will answer you soon :)
Good luck, I hope you can save him...he is very pretty...

Reaction score
Thank you. I was actually just reading that myself. There were no downed wires or lightning strikes near me (eastern Ma) during Irene, though, so I don't think that's the problem. I'll repost this there. Maybe a Mod could move this?

Reaction score
I hope someone answers you soon. Your Koi does look like he isn't straight (if that makes sense) and definately stressed. Good Luck, and I will keep an eye on your post.

Reaction score
I hate to be a pain, but I did a search on the net about the problem with closing the mouth. Is it possible that he has a stone or something else stuck in his mouth?

http://forums.garden...1334212863.html

I couldn't see anything abnormal in my koi's mouth, but I don't know what a koi's mouth looks like in the first place. I'll see if this is the case. It isn't a pain at all. I'm glad to have somebody helping me.

Reaction score
We seem to have put the exact same search terms into google. I noticed in the pictures, and upon closer examination, that the koi has a small scratch on the side. Is there any way an infection could have come in through the scratch?

Reaction score
I don't know, I wish I did :( Extra air in the aquarium couldn't hurt. He just looks like something is stuck in this mouth or throat. Is he getting worse? Did you acclamate him to the indoor tank so he wasn't shocked? Gosh, I wish someone would jump on and help!!

Reaction score
Actually, I used the water from the pond itself. He seems to be a little better. He's staying a little more upright. He's still having mouth trouble, though. Maybe an infection in the throat is causing his throat to be enflamed.

Ask a Question