j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Peeps were talking here on this forum once about lightning striking fish and injuring them. Did you notice any lightning lately?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Found this on the net for you to read rad:

[size="-1"]Kinked Back - Spastic Swimming.
If this has shown up suddenly, there are several possible causes, but usually this is caused by a lightning strike or electrical discharge into the water from a damaged electrical appliance. Sometimes you get lucky and the appliance causing the trouble identifies itself by "kicking the breaker" and is off when you simultaneously discover the fish with this symptom. When you see a fish with a kinked back swimming spastically, don't dispair. If they have been electrically shocked, here's their prognostic information (chances): [/size]
  • [size="-1"]Big fish, kinked, right side up, normal buoyancy: Kinking may worsen and curvature can become more severe over time. These fish have more mature musculature and are growing more slowly. They recover more slowly. [/size]
  • [size="-1"]Small fish, right side up, normal buoyancy: Kinking almost always resolves to 95% of normal, swimming will probably return to normal. Recovery times are normally six to eight weeks. You can see improvements within a week, but it's gradual.[/size]
  • [size="-1"]Big fish, laying over, sinking: Prognosis is extremely poor. These fish do not equillibrate and they end up being unable to support their body mass nutritionally and they end up beating the "downside" eyeball out of the socket as they try to swim. [/size]
  • [size="-1"]Small fish laying over, sinking: Still a poor prognosis. These fish may be able to eat enough to survive for a time, and perhaps equillibrate. [/size]
  • [size="-1"]Big fish, right side up, on the bottom: These fish will sometimes have a swim bladder full of water. There is a procedure with these "right side up" sinkers wherein the bladder can be tapped, guided by Ultrasound, and the water removed from the air bladder and a mixture of air and antibiotics inserted. Repeated several times it is possible that these fish can be remedied. [/size]
  • [size="-1"]Small fish, right side up, sinkers: 25% of these fish will die or disappear from the pond. 75% will scurry across the bottom and find sufficient food to survive long enough to recover from the condition on their own. Smaller fish are probably easier to 'swimbladder tap' but they are also somewhat more fragile. [/size]

Reaction score
There hasn't been any lightning around here recently. I was on the outskirts of Irene, so I didn't get anything that bad. My power didn't surge or go out and there were no downed power lines near my pond. He's a small fish laying over. He may not be able to eat, though, because of his jaw problem.

Reaction score
I read online somewhere that you can use a toothpick (horizontal) and apply slight pressure in the corners of his mouth gently. Sure wish there was something I could do to help :(

Ask a Question