Starting New, Doing it Right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looking good. :)

Just curious, how did you bend the aluminum so neatly? Do you have a brake? Nice work however you did it.
Thanks, Actually I just cut a 3"x6" Piece of Aluminum sheeting I use for engraving and sandwiched it between 2 cinder blocks and used my hand to bend them... ;)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The spillways and filter/pump look humongous in that setup. Have you thought about hiding them or putting them elsewhere or is this just a test?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Jason, I like your new pond and congrats on the new house. I was wondering if you will be keeping an eye on your PH level. I have heard that concrete blocks(cinder blocks) can leech out lime which can raise your ph. And from what I saw, your filter goes through the cinder blocks. If it does leech out and affect your PH, could you coat the blocks with a protective coating to stop any issues?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh that spray on stuff that stops leaks may seal it .If that is what you need .I used on it on a leaking gutter on my carport and a cracked leaking stock tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The spillways and filter/pump look humongous in that setup. Have you thought about hiding them or putting them elsewhere or is this just a test?
No John, the Pressure Filter is just there temporarily and I wont even be using that filter if it does not Seal right. The spill ways are not complete, I should have the back of the whole waterfall setup done by the weekend.

Sissy, It is the rubber gasket O'ring that is giving me a fit, I have fixed the previous leak on the face of the inlet/outlet part. The filter has had the lid sat on it one way for over a year so I have to keep turning it to find the sweet spot! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy and Archimedes.

Southern Cross, I have not thought about that? I will keep an eye on it and I check my water once a Month, as of last night the water has an 8.1PH so Alkaline and pretty much a good start so far.

Reaction score
Jason,

It looks really awesome! I am glad that you added some sort of reinforcement to the walls. I think it will at least provide you with a sense of security. The spillways look really great! Nice job on those, they should really help with aeration and ambience as well.

That is going to be a very nice spot to hang out in the evenings (or anytime for that matter) and enjoy the sounds and the view.

I work nights and get off at 4 am, that would be an exceptional spot to sit down at and have a beer and relax before going to bed. It would put me in a very good mood!

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got O rings at lowes in a bag of all sizes .Had to buy a whole bag but only needed 1 size ,but the only way they sold them to get the size I needed .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Very nice job, Jason. You are giving me ideas for a second pond closer to our house! Will have to run it through the approving official, though. Let us know what you find for coating the inside of the blocks, if you do that. I would want to make sure that it was fish friendly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
One more point about your bricks leaking. In time, they will probably develop a crust of minerals on them from the evaporating water that wicks through. It would be good to coat the inside with something or use some kind of drain pipe instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Tim, I tried to do some research on the above mentioned Block Leakage of chemicals, etc. and Can't find nothing? Im not going to worry about it for now as I have had cinder blocks in past ponds and many people on here as well. If you can educate me on the subject please do! The last thing I want is fish deaths with me scratching my head (y)

Ask a Question