sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think that is due to the acid leaching from the block but as the block sits around for awhile that is mostly gone . Cement takes years and years to cure . but since block is not exposed to the damp ground and has air flow all around it cures faster .Block will loose that acidic stuff faster .So by the time most people even get block it has been sitting outside exposed to weather and most of that is long gone .They say that about brick also .Look at lava rock all that is is brick clinkers /It is just a by product of the pressing of brick .I remember back in NJ on Route 1 there was a concrete manufacturing plant right down from Ford Motor company and I used to go there and get lava rock for my gardens for 2 dollars for a truckload ,used my sons big truck .You would pull into the yard there and they would scoop it up and off you went .Sometimes they would even give it away because they had so much of it .If lava rock does not cause problems block will not .Real lava rock is black or grey .I know I have real lava rock from Hawaii a friend sent me .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks Tim, I tried to do some research on the above mentioned Block Leakage of chemicals, etc. and Can't find nothing? Im not going to worry about it for now as I have had cinder blocks in past ponds and many people on here as well. If you can educate me on the subject please do! The last thing I want is fish deaths with me scratching my head (y)

I wouldn't worry about the cinder blocks themselves causing harm to the water. If you you are worried about a coating material hurting your fish, look for "water safe" or "potable safe" on the can. "Potable" means it's been verified to not affect water that's intended for human consumption. I've seen things like this on glues and epoxys intended for underwater use.

Over time, the water that seeps through will give you a nice mineral crust on the outside. The running water will also deteriorate the bricks themself (maybe after 5 years or more). I've seen this happen with cinder block walls that get hit by sprinklers every day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The home depot/lowes lava rock is lava rock, produced here....................http://www.coloradolava.com/
Our lava products are mined from volcanic lava domes in New Mexico and are processed, bagged and shipped from our bagging plant in Antonito, Colorado and Des Moines, New Mexico.
IReal lava rock is black or grey .I know I have real lava rock from Hawaii a friend sent me .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the stuff I got before said it was brick clinkers at least that's what the bag said .But have not really looked at the bags in years now so will have to check it out .I know 9 years ago the bag was different and actually lighter than the last couple of years so will have to take a look at my bags in the basement .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Interesting will read it all .Funny but the clinkers I bought look just like this stuff .I even brought some from NJ here in flower pots and compared it and it does look similar but the clinkers have more holes and are lighter in weight but the same color or pretty close in color .wow would love some of those big rocks they have pics of

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
0320142242a.jpg
0321140843.jpg
update on pond, lights are next! almost done.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only reason I knew of clinkers was because they advertised in the paper and since the concrete place was only a mile up the road and for the price how could I loose .:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like your pond and those pockets on the sides for the plants are looking fine. Neat how you did the double waterfalls. I see you have a fancy setup now for your temporary lights. Whatever works, you have your chair, your drink and lights to see w/while you enjoy the view :D

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Nice! I was looking at the last pic and thought that was a beer to enjoy your pond, but on closer inspection, it was only fish food!

Ask a Question