Starting New, Doing it Right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello again, Me and My Wife are hopefully closing on our House this Friday and I have since left behind the "Kiddie Pool" Idea for a Temporary Pond as the Main New Pond won't be complete for a couple of Months. Today, I have laid out A Patio square pond that I will build for my Fish until there new home is built, but keeping it permanent after for a Quarantine/Whatever Patio Pond.

I have already designed everything in my head and will utilize my existing 36- 8x8x16 Cinderblocks, 10x10 EPDM 45mil Liner, 1,200 GPH Pump, and 13w UV Pressurized Filter. I bought some Liquid Nail Extreme Landscape today to adhere the cinderblocks together. I will cap off the cinderblocks, just have not figured out what to cap them off with yet (thinking of using the granite slabs from old pond)? Here is a Drawing of it, simple Industrial/Modern design and will be under the backside of the car port and will have Low Light plants to dress it up (just used flowers as example) Let me know what you think!

Jason Patio 6x6 Pond 2014.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a nice plan..............like the decorative plants on the side idea :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks! :) It has a strong enough PSI, already looked into it and other Ponders used it as well according to the Interwebz lol. A good question though I did not think about is if the Liquid Nail stuff fish friendly... Not that it will be submerged in the water, but water might splash a little on some?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used rebar but the outside of my pond is protected by retaining wall block

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No Re-bar Mmathis, Im trying to build this with as much resources I already have to keep cost and time down. I did research on Water Depth and Area psi and at the bottom of my pond on the bottom row of Block, the max PSI they will be feeling is around 1PSI... The Liquid Nails Extreme Landscaping Block is over 400 PSI Holding strength. I won't be anywhere near the breaking point, plus the pond will sit on a concrete level car port so no re-bar unless I cut them to the height of the pond and then fill in the block channels.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how much is that glue Jason . I will look for it since I am considering it for another row of block and not sure rebar will hold a second row

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking about it and landscape block has a lot of surface area to glue but with concrete block not so much surface area plus the second row up would have to be off set like building a basement wall .This would give the wall strength .Water is pushing against it from inside but nothing from the outside .I wonder if the little amount you could use on a concrete block would lesson the holding power .I could only find PL concrete adhesive here .Yours does say block ,but what type of block

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Right on the Offset and why I put the second row like that. Im going to go with a 1/4" Bead so I bought 4 tubes just to be sure, even though it recommends 1/8" would work fine.

Thanks Addy and Big Lou!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I dry stacked my pond 12 is about 22' long x 12' wide by 8' deep using liquid nails to bond the blocks. Of course I used rebar and pumped the blocks full of concrete. The pumper guy had never seen glued block and was skeptical that the walls would stand up to the pumping, I assured him it would and it did.

Ask a Question