Submersible pump clogging question

Reaction score
A few years ago, I was researching a method of keeping beavers from blocking the over-flow pipe for a small lake. One thing that was suggested was to make a wire fenced enclosure around the opening of the pipe, several feet in diameter. The idea is to prevent the flow into the pipe free while preventing the fencing from being so close that anything placed near it would not have enough current to keep it there. There's no way top stop a beaver from bringing limbs/mud/trash/etc. toward the pipe, but if you can keep that stuff far enough away from the flow, it will just sink to the bottom or float away.

The same process would, I think, work on the intake of a pond pump/pipe. The trick is to make the fenced area big enough that it won't suck anything on to its surface. I realized this might work just last night and will be looking for some of the 'deer fencing' mentioned in other threads that I can fashion into something around my submerged pump. Unfortunately, I found one of my Shubunkins trapped by that very suction only a few minutes ago! It may have been there for 24 hours! The 'pump' side had impressions matching the louvers on the intake grill of the pump! Saddens me that I didn't think about this earlier. I can only assume the small fish like being near the Water Hyacinths I put in only a couple of days ago, went to 'sleep' and didn't wake up before it was too late! I think I created what the lawyers call an "attractive nuisance!" :sad:

Oops! I see that ididnidoit has a better (quicker, neater) idea (post #16, above)! I'm off to the Dollar store! :bowdown: :wave:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
xAbD said:
A few years ago, I was researching a method of keeping beavers from blocking the over-flow pipe for a small lake. One thing that was suggested was to make a wire fenced enclosure around the opening of the pipe, several feet in diameter. The idea is to prevent the flow into the pipe free while preventing the fencing from being so close that anything placed near it would not have enough current to keep it there. There's no way top stop a beaver from bringing limbs/mud/trash/etc. toward the pipe, but if you can keep that stuff far enough away from the flow, it will just sink to the bottom or float away.

The same process would, I think, work on the intake of a pond pump/pipe. The trick is to make the fenced area big enough that it won't suck anything on to its surface. I realized this might work just last night and will be looking for some of the 'deer fencing' mentioned in other threads that I can fashion into something around my submerged pump. Unfortunately, I found one of my Shubunkins trapped by that very suction only a few minutes ago! It may have been there for 24 hours! The 'pump' side had impressions matching the louvers on the intake grill of the pump! Saddens me that I didn't think about this earlier. I can only assume the small fish like being near the Water Hyacinths I put in only a couple of days ago, went to 'sleep' and didn't wake up before it was too late! I think I created what the lawyers call an "attractive nuisance!" :sad:

Oops! I see that ididnidoit has a better (quicker, neater) idea (post #16, above)! I'm off to the Dollar store! :bowdown: :wave:
I think my problem has been solved by using 2 pre-filter socks, a large and small size placing one inside the other and closing the top with filter material. It is now 2 weeks without cleaning and water flow is still strong. These were purchased at a local fish store and were kind of pricy but at the time I was desperate. Home made would certainly be cheaper. This is the large pre-filter and the small one fits inside: http://www.pondliner.com/p-337-pondfiltration-pump-sock.aspx
Good luck...........Ralph

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
To clarify what others have said

If you increase the size of you input screen by 4X area water will flow through it at 1/4 the speed and have 1/4 the suction to pull things into the screen.

About the mesh of the input screen. If the only purpose of the screen is to keep the pump from clogging you want the largest screen you can get by with. The finer the mesh the sooner it clogs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I soaked my lava rock for a month in peroxide ,all the nice big open pored ones and drilled holes in the bucket and put my pump in and filled it with the lava rock I soaked so far so good .

Reaction score
Hi Ralph,

I'm curious .... if I understood this right, you replaced a 700 gph pump with an 1800 gph pump for a 600 gallon or so size pond. How is the water turbulence?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
gardengimp said:
Hi Ralph,

I'm curious .... if I understood this right, you replaced a 700 gph pump with an 1800 gph pump for a 600 gallon or so size pond. How is the water turbulence?
Sounds crazy doesn't it? The water flow is almost perfect and the fish seem to love it. What I am using is 1 inch corrugated hose that runs approximately 16 feet with an elevation of about 2 feet. I have ordered a 3-way ball valve that I will be installing to reduce some of the water flow although not very much. I have included a link to a photo I took a few minutes ago so you can see the flow. I will probably be cleaning the pump sock next week and that will give me more flow and hopefully the 3-way valve will arrive by then. Any suggestions are always appreciated...........Ralph

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3740/9102458220_ef18710437_c.jpg

Forgot to mention. I don't particularly like fish spitters so I used the fish designed for drainage from rain gutters, more water flow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat fish spitter, that is a good idea. Nice looking pond too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Neat fish spitter, that is a good idea. Nice looking pond too
Thank you ady1, it is right off our patio so we really enjoy it. Curious about something, can you explain why photos with the gray outline don't enlarge, such as yours?..............Ralph

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they are below the signature line, they don't enlarge. They only enlarge when in your post. It says enlarge cause I pulled them from the media file.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:36661]

Here is the pond one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
If they are below the signature line, they don't enlarge. They only enlarge when in your post. It says enlarge cause I pulled them from the media file.

Here is the pond one.
Wow, now that's one beautiful pond, very humbling. Thanks for the info and the photo..........Ralph

Ask a Question