Summerizing (Starting) A Previously Set-Up Pond

Reaction score
hey guys, first time posting here, my parents bought a new house while I was away at college, and they have a small pond in the back yard. The pond's roughly 6x6 feet, and only a few feet deep, with a decent sized (long) creek/waterfall flowing into it. I have extensive experience in setting up aquariums, but I've never tackled a pond before. I have no idea how to start up a pond in the spring, but we want to do it soon, as algae growth is already becoming a problem in the stagnant pond.

The following are a few pix I took of what appear to be a couple timers and one outlet box, and then the filter/pump area. My parents don't think that any additional cords have to be run to the pond, apparently everything's already set up electrically/wiring-wise, so I'm not sure what the outlet box is for. The pump housing has a foam insert, just a block that's as wide as the box, and about 3 inches thick. There are two bulkheads on the side opposite where I believe the inlet is, which is just a rectangular hole in the side of the box. There's a mesh net with two poles that hold it in the box like a net, I'm guessing the pump goes in there to protect it from large debris?

I couldn't take any pictures of the pump, it's submerged in a five gallon bucket, where it's been since it was taken out last fall. No idea why it's submerged in water, but on the off-chance that it's something important, I decided to leave it in the bucket. Basically guys, what steps do I have to take to gather more information, or to set up the pond to at least get water circulating. Also we have a algae-away product, and a one that clears the water, and apparently lowers ammonia and other toxins. I'll get pix/names of those when I can. Thanks for the help guys, if you have any questions or need any additional information please ask and I'll get it.

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum
Please post an introduction in the proper thread.
The bucket has protected the pump so it will stat up again when you need it. One used, they like to stay in water.

Reaction score
By the proper thread, do you mean the introductory thread or the beginner's forum? I thought this message was a little too lengthy and specific for an introduction thread, and since my questions are dealing solely with equipment, I figured this would be the forum to post it in.

Why does the pump need to stay submerged? I've worked with plenty of powerheads and water pumps, and I've never heard of them needing to be stored under water in order to work properly. I'm not trying to dispute what you said, I believe you lol, I'm just trying to understand why.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We like new people to introduce themselves first. We have a thread for that and instructions where you logged in for the first time.

Reaction score
Alright, I started an intro thread about myself in the proper forum, could I get some help now please?

Reaction score
personally i find the way you bully new people ruder than them not introducing themselves. Its a public forum about pond keeping which you happen to run, its not like we are actually guests in your house. 'We' seems to be you Dave.

In terms of storing pumps in water - old wifes tale (in in case of freezing conditions is much worse), dry storage is fine. Biggest risk is between where water in the seals freezes by not being insulated by a larger volume of water.

If there isnt any fish inside, id suggest pumping it all out, and getting all the sludge n crap out the bottom of it (good plant fertiliser).

From what i can gather, that box is a filter, id take all the media out of it, and USING POND WATER NOT TAP wash it all out including draining the filter. The water will most likely be stagnant and it looks full of crap, you wont want it to contaminate the pond. Once all clean (and clean out pump if possible), replace media and get the pump going asap - somewhere in the flow try and get water splashing to get some oxygen in.

Basicly the whole lot needs a good clean, then get the pump running.

For learning about creating healthy water conditions, search and read up on the Nitrogen cycle, which is the process of taking the raw sewage etc (ammonia/nitrites), and converting it into harmless nitrate (the nutrient plants feed on). Plenty of surface area media for the bacteria to colonise on, plenty of oxygen and a semi decent waterflow.

Good lucky buddy

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
ginger_biscuit69 said:
personally i find the way you bully new people ruder than them not introducing themselves. Its a public forum about pond keeping which you happen to run, its not like we are actually guests in your house. 'We' seems to be you Dave.

In terms of storing pumps in water - old wifes tale (in in case of freezing conditions is much worse), dry storage is fine. Biggest risk is between where water in the seals freezes by not being insulated by a larger volume of water.

If there isnt any fish inside, id suggest pumping it all out, and getting all the sludge n crap out the bottom of it (good plant fertiliser).

From what i can gather, that box is a filter, id take all the media out of it, and USING POND WATER NOT TAP wash it all out including draining the filter. The water will most likely be stagnant and it looks full of crap, you wont want it to contaminate the pond. Once all clean (and clean out pump if possible), replace media and get the pump going asap - somewhere in the flow try and get water splashing to get some oxygen in.

Basicly the whole lot needs a good clean, then get the pump running.

For learning about creating healthy water conditions, search and read up on the Nitrogen cycle, which is the process of taking the raw sewage etc (ammonia/nitrites), and converting it into harmless nitrate (the nutrient plants feed on). Plenty of surface area media for the bacteria to colonise on, plenty of oxygen and a semi decent waterflow.

Good lucky buddy

If you go to the Home page, you will find that the Admin and owner of this forum has requested this. If you are unhappy with a proper introduction take it up with him.

Reaction score
So as long as the pump isn't stored in freezing conditions, it should be fine? I know I'm new here, but if the whole fear of storage is freezing, why would storing it in liquid water help that at all, lol..?

Sounds good on cleaning out the pond, will I be able to use the pond pump to do the majority of the work getting the water out, until the water level's low enough to damage the pump? I know about the nitrogen cycle and general water parameters (frankly the aquarist in me trembles at the very thought of having a system this open (weather, outdoors, lol), but by pond water, do you just mean treated tap water, or are there other ways I should treat the water?

Reaction score
pond water - as in non chlorinated tap water. If you are going to a complete washout without any fish about then dont worry, go hosing away!! Just give it a good week or two for the chlorine etc to dissipate before adding any pondlife or buy dechlorinator.

In terms of storage, i leave mine in the pond throughout the year as at 6feet deep, there is no chance the pondfloor will freeze (UK). Shallow ponds run the risk of freezing throughout in which case taking it out is good. Buckets arnt really much help, its going to freeze rather easily regardless. Modern pumps dont get damaged by drying out in storage. Older ones relying on grease type seals did, modern is ceramics and modern composite rubber seals.

Dave: im not against it, i think its perfectly fair and helps to build a good community and saves smalltalk of questions from newbies who often will post up something lacking any details to allow an educated answer. My point is the gun ho method in which it is enforced isnt particularily great - of course us Brits do have a very different manorism to many of you yanks which could just mean im reading it an entirely different way to it is meant in which case i apologise.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TMF89 said:
So as long as the pump isn't stored in freezing conditions, it should be fine? I know I'm new here, but if the whole fear of storage is freezing, why would storing it in liquid water help that at all, lol..?

Sounds good on cleaning out the pond, will I be able to use the pond pump to do the majority of the work getting the water out, until the water level's low enough to damage the pump? I know about the nitrogen cycle and general water parameters (frankly the aquarist in me trembles at the very thought of having a system this open (weather, outdoors, lol), but by pond water, do you just mean treated tap water, or are there other ways I should treat the water?

Some pumps when made contain seals that can become brittle once they have gotten hot and the dry out. Any submersible pump should be run completely submerged including powerheads as this is what cools the drive in the motor and extends the life of the the pump. Look at the pond as a big aquarium. use declorinator or let the water run for 48 hours or so to disipate the chlorine and allow the temp to settle. You need the same basic componenets for a pond as a fish tank, filter, good water, Good time to get your water set where you want it is before adding fish. I read somewhere that a pond keeper is the keeper of the water that the fish live in. It's all about getting the best filter to clean and remove wastes. you need fish suitable for your area, just as you do need plants unless you plan on keeping Koi only in your pond, If that is the case think even bigger filter and it's best to not have plants or protect them as Koi do eat them.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I don't plan on having koi, just a few goldfish I think, and thanks for the information on the pump and water. Any tips on how to drain the thing? I was thinking of hooking the pump up with some tubing or something (until the water level got low enough that the pump was close to being out of water, obviously), how would you guys do it?

Reaction score
You could use a bucket. Or your hands. But since you have pump, its probably easier to use it:). Put the hose on your lawn or whatever you want to fertilize.
Near the end, ff there is lots of thick mud on the bottom, clogging the pump, consider adding tapwater and stirring it to make it more liquid again.

Reaction score
sounds good, I'm going to look at the pump (I'll post pix) and see how I'll go about plumbing it to get rid of the water, then I'm going to Petco tonight with my mom (I try to support fish stores, but we're just getting cleaning supplies and other cheap misc. stuff) to buy a net and some other stuff. That's the great thing about this project, I'm basically a consultant, I get to play around and do all the fun stuff, but not have to pay for any of the equipment! Also I know the pond isn't that deep, but would a de-icer keep it from freezing over winter? It's shallow enough (under 4') that it'd freeze completely without some heat source, would a de-icer be enough, or are we going to have to invest in a winter holding tank? Oh and it IS Minnesota, so it'll hit -30 quite a few times in the winter, probably a little more than that every once and awhile.

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post but I found out you can't edit a post after 10 minutes.

Could somebody take a look at the electrical photos I took and tell me what does what? I'd like to at least get the lights figured out (one for sure in the pond, not sure if there are others hidden in bushes or the pond), but I don't want to plug in the wrong thing or anything.

Also I took pix of the pump, it's an Aquascape Pro SFA3000, there's the pump, a bit of piping, and a cylinder with a blue cylinder inside it (rattles a bit when shaken). What goes where? Also I know from experience with aquariums that a water/vinegar solution is great for cleaning pumps and powerheads, while it pushes the water through the vinegar dissolves all the gunk, I'm considering throwing the pump in a tote with water and vinegar and letting it run and clean itself out, obviously I'll replace the water with regular water after it's clean to clean the vinegar out of the pump, is there any reason i shouldn't do this?

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

Finally, I remeasured the pond, it's 8x7 oval shaped, and I was WAY off with my depth estimate, the center is only about 18-20 inches deep! There are a ton of large rocks in the pond, after I drain it I'm going to see about moving them to make some more room, and hopefully with all the muck cleaned out it will be a bit deeper. Is a foot and a half deep enough for a few fish? I roughly calculated the water volume to be about 600 gallons give or take, so it's still a lot of water (in my humble opinion, having only dealt with 10-55 gallon aquariums in the past, lol). Thanks again for the help guys!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That would be a decent size for some gold fish, shubunkins, I would stay away from koi.

Removing the rocks will helps with keeping your pond clean.

I am not sure about the vinegar and the pump. I use it a lot to clean things gunked up by hard water, but not sure what it might do to seals. Maybe you can find some information on the net, or call the manufacture if the are still around.

Ask a Question