addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! my first batch hatched, I have another batch of eggs getting ready to.

Reaction score
I believe mine are toads because the fish never bother the eggs and I was told it is because they have a nasty taste? This is my fourth year getting them and the kids just love helping me relocate them when they are out of the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have no clue how to tell, I have not seen any toads show up yet. The mass of eggs that are there now look a little different bigger black dots, maybe just older from then when I saw the others.

Maybe they are something else.

Reaction score
Toad eggs are laid in long strings of eggs surrounded by a slimy coating. They are black on one side and white on the other.

Frog eggs are laid in clusters also surrounded by a slimy coating often attached to plants or rocks.

Reaction score
Here are pics of toad and frog eggs.

Attachments

• toad eggs.jpg
    toad eggs.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 276
  • frogs_eggs.jpg
    frogs_eggs.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That is cool. My bullfrog tadpoles are getting large, and have their back little legs. They just hang out.

Reaction score
i am getting more and more frustrated about this daily, today i went out to the pond again and still i get within feet and they go silent....i can't go at night because it is nowhere near my house. i thought about tadpoles but i have no clue when they should be ready to be caught...any clues? what about location, where do frogs generally lay?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a stream, small ponds, slightly larger ponds and a large pond. They picked the largest of the small ponds, with plants, still water and no fish to lay their eggs.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
talal101 said:
i am getting more and more frustrated about this daily, today i went out to the pond again and still i get within feet and they go silent....i can't go at night because it is nowhere near my house. i thought about tadpoles but i have no clue when they should be ready to be caught...any clues? what about location, where do frogs generally lay?

Tatal, Bullfrog Tadpole stay tadpoles for two seasons unlike most which go from egg to tadpole to frog all in one season. If you find Bullfrog tadpoles they will be pretty large, 2-3" is about normal, Find one with back legs it should develope into frogs this year. I've found If you can get them as tadpoles and raise them in the pond they are far more likely to stick around. Big trick to keeping them alive when transporting them home, already have some good clean water ready in case you find one, don't wait and get the water after you catch them. they are similar to fish, yea they live in the mud but they don't do well in muddy water or bags of water with a lot of crude. If you don't catch one it only takes a second to dump the water and come back another day. If you do get some get what you want and get them on home to the pond as quick as possible. Don't handle them, or keep them in the net long, their slime coating is even more crucial than a fish's. If you can get them home without to much stress, They are tough little guys and worth the effort. Good Luck

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
blessedfamily said:
Thanks for the pics Nova..I always get toads but didn't see the long strand this year so maybe it's bulldogs :lol: That would be exciting.

Lol, bulldogs would be extremely exciting............:lol::lol::lol: Sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing saw that too jw! Been watching another batch of eggs, hundreds, they went from little round balls to double balls today they have little flat tails and are wiggling, still stuck in the gel stuff. The already hatched ones are little round balls with tails and they swim fast!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze my little frogs come up on the porch and croak and then when you go down by the pond you can see them sitting on the rocks looking at you .I sometimes drop fish food and you can see them heading for it to eat it

Ask a Question