tadpoles

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got 3 bullfrog tadpoles. They vanished. So I got 3 bigger bullfrog tadpoles. They vanished, too. These tadpoles were very large, almost as big as the fish (which have since grown a lot). One day, I found two tadpoles in the skimmer and returned them to the pond, but that was about three weeks ago. There has been no sign of any tadpoles since then, and I put a total of 6 into the pond starting in March.

Any idea what could have happened to them? I'd like to have frogs, but I'm not going down the tadpole road again. About a week ago, I startled a fox who came up our driveway; it startled me, too. I've seen an owl by the pond at night twice, but not in a couple of months. During the winter a big hawk used to sit at the edge of the pond, but I haven't seen it in the immediate vicinity of the pond in at least two months. I understand not seeing the predators does not mean they haven't been about, but I don't think my pond is easily accessible to foxes or birds who are not herons. Could the fish have eaten the tadpoles? I wouldn't have thought it likely given they'd be eating something almost their size. Or could it be that the tadpoles are just really good at hiding, all the time?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Or could it be that the tadpoles are just really good at hiding, all the time?

That's not impossible. I haven't raised Bullfrog tadpoles but I have raised Leopard Frog tadpoles and they don't do a ton of swimming. They often find a food source like algae and just hang out in it. Not to mention their color blends in well.

Did they have rear legs on them? Once their rear legs are formed, the rest forms quickly. They may have already turned to frogs and left.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used to buy 10 bull frog tadpoles every year and they'd always "disappear"...have no idea what happened to them, but I stopped buying them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a swimming pool about 25 ft from my pond, almost every day I will have a leopard frog or bullfrog in the pool or in the skimmer I take them and put them in the pond, the next day they are back in the pool,...... I think they are afraid of the Koi, so now I just take them back to the creek behind the house and let them go

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I could give you a boatload of frogs and taddies .Creeks all around me and they pick my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's not impossible. I haven't raised Bullfrog tadpoles but I have raised Leopard Frog tadpoles and they don't do a ton of swimming. They often find a food source like algae and just hang out in it. Not to mention their color blends in well.

Did they have rear legs on them? Once their rear legs are formed, the rest forms quickly. They may have already turned to frogs and left.
No legs. Hopefully they are immersed in the algae as you describe. Al I need is one to grow legs and start frogging out in my pond, and I'll be happy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I used to buy 10 bull frog tadpoles every year and they'd always "disappear"...have no idea what happened to them, but I stopped buying them.
I am also done buying them. I might buy a full-fledge frog if nothing develops by June, but no more tadpoles.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have lots of frogs, I built the pond, they were moving in before it was even full of water. Mainly green frogs, the tree frogs lay eggs and go back to the woods, the toads lay eggs, they become tads real fast and hop out as tiny tiny toads mid summer.

Green frogs stay as tads over winter.

We had a few bull frogs, but they did disappear, which is fine with me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My boy and I caught a couple dozen small leopard, or cricket, frog tadpoles and threw them in our pond last weekend. I haven't sent any since, and think they made a tasty treat for my shubbies. I think it helped finally bring them out of their winter funk, as they are finally spending more time out in the open and frolicking around.

We have two smaller bullfrogs that have taken up residence in the pond as well. I see them everyday, and they dive right in below the waterfall when we get close.

B

Burd

If you know anyone with a winter cover on their pool, nows the time to get your tadpoles p, tons. I,just got some a week ago, their doing fine in my pond.

Ask a Question