Tiny Green/Gray Bugs on surface

Reaction score
Hello,

A couple of years ago I made my first foray into ponding with a tiny (100-ish gallon) pond.

This spring, the surface is swarming with tiny green/gray bugs...tiny as in nearly microscopic. They end up clumping together by the thousands, forming little bug paddies.

I dropped a mosquito pellet in the water a week or so ago, thinking that would help, but it has not.

I have NO idea what to do to get rid of these things. I do have several healthy fish in the pond, so I'm hesitant to just start throwing in other chemicals.

Can somebody please suggest how I might get rid of these bugs, and does anybody know what these bugs might be? I know...it's hard to identify with such a generic description and no photo...

Thanks for any info.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
little bug babies maybe? do you have the surface of your water moving, ie like a good air stone, might make it harder for them to be there.

And welcome to the forum!
welcomefromgang4.gif

might be nymphs of some sort

Reaction score
I have a spitter that moves quite a bit of water around...I even opened it up to full capacity; no difference.

thanks for the welcome!

Reaction score
I would try netting them out with a very fine say aquarium net...not sure what they are. Mosquito larve are pretty squiggly moving, dragon fly larve you usually see a head with a cape on it. if it was me I'd just get them out.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds kind of like water aphids, Annoying if that's what they are but pretty much completely harmless. If that's what they are the best thing you can do is remove as many as possible by net or hand. There are pesticides that will get rid of them however I would really worry about harming the fish. These bugs will not harm the plants or fish. When I have seen them on my lotus in the past I just scrapped them off and gave them to the fish to eat. They tend to clump on the surface of the water or where plants rise from the water most. Do you see any flying? If so those are maturing and they will pretty much leave after that. You will still have some that stay but the majority move on usually within a few weeks.
Hope that's what they are, as they don't bite, don't harm plants or fish, and really don't do much but sit there look disgusting, and annoy the pond keeper.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol fishin there are a lot of things that annoy pond keepers, but all part of the pond cycle

Ask a Question